Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Blueberry Cider

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
Tusch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If I am merely racking to the bucket so that I can empty, clean and add more blueberries to the carboy, does the quality of the bucket really matter too much? I mean I don't expect, since this is my most likely scenario, that it would be in the bucket for more than 30 or 45 minutes.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Pyro
Recipes 

Hey Tusch.

Thanks for the props in you initial post. Sounds like your batch is going good. I would'nt worry too much about the bucket from Home Depot. I know they say it should be "food grade", but if you're using a sanitizing agent like "StarSan" (the best in my opinion), making sure it has the appropriate amount of contact time, and minimizing the time in the transfer bucket before you rack it back into the carboy,... I really would'nt think there would be any problem. Your other option of ordering another carboy is a good one too. Which ever option you choose, I'm sure it'll be just fine. My Blueberry Cider has been in the secondary for 40 days now(11 weeks total) on top of more blueberries. I've actually been thinking about racking or bottling it for the past couple of days. Still have'nt decided which is better...bottle aging or bulk aging. I dunno...I'll think it over some more. It is tasting really, really good now...I don't know if it was the second addition of blueberries, or time in secondary, or what, but...DAMN! I'm going to have a hard time laying off of it for the next 4-6 months while it conditions.

Good luck!

Primaries - Chocolate Banana Hefeweizen, EdWort's Apfelwein
Secondaries -
Tertiaries - Brewtal
Primary Pilots -
Secondary Pilots - Raspberry Cider
Conditioning - Half Pound Pale, Blueberry Apfelwein, Hard Cider, JAOM, Lord Fatbottom, Vanilla Cider, Vanilla Mead
Drinking - Breakfast Stout, Robust Porter, Cat 5 Double Chocolate Stout, St. Fatrick's Tire, Hoppy Bastard, Jack The RIPA, LBC Christmas Ale
Planned - More Raspberry Apfelwein

Brewed:
2008 - 65 gallons

Old 02-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
RogerK
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch
However, I have a problem, the primary and my only large carboy is the 6 gallon glass carboy it is currently in. I am aware that I will have significant losses due to the blueberries absorbing liquid. So my question is more of a multiple choice
Do I:

1 - rack as much liquid as possible from the carboy into a plastic bucket that I will purchase, than dump the blueberries into the freshly cleaned carboy and rack back into it? (where do I get a 5+ gallon bucket? If I am not fermenting in it can't I just use any clean bucket large enough, perhaps from Home Depot or the like?)

Check your local bakeries. They often get fillings, etc in food grade 5 gal pails, with lids. I can get mine for $1 ea, if I need to pay for them at all

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
beala
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro
I know they say it should be "food grade", but if you're using a sanitizing agent like "StarSan" (the best in my opinion), making sure it has the appropriate amount of contact time, and minimizing the time in the transfer bucket before you rack it back into the carboy,... I really would'nt think there would be any problem.
I think the food grade label is also to insure it's the right type of plastic to be in contact with food. For example #1 plastic doesn't let oxygen through, which is great to reduce oxidation, but I think a bigger worry is the fact that the cheaper plastics may leach chemicals into your brew. I know liquor shouldn't be stored in plastic, because of the high abv, but I'm not sure about things like beers and wines in the 5-10% abv range. I'm not saying all plastic is dangerous. better bottles/#1 plastic is definitely safe, but I'd be wary of those #7 plastic containers.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just curious to see how this is going to turn out...sub post.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #16
Tusch
Recipes 

Well, the airlock is gurgling less and less. This is a big exam week for me (man I hate school, 4 exams in one week, 3 of which are thursday/friday) and this weekend is trip to chicago with SWMBO, so... looks like I will look into it in a week or so.

Oh but I tasted some more and mmmmm, once I get more blueberries in there for secondary it will be amazing. It already is now, it just needs more bb flavor.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #17
Tusch
Recipes 

Ok so I have heard that with certain fruits, they will eventually sink to the bottom of a carboy. I remember seeing this in the JAOM recipes, where some people suggested waiting until the oranges drop before bottling or racking. So should I expect the blueberries to drop? I have a feeling they won't and I should just move on with my plan to rack onto more berries, but thought it might be worth it to ask.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
Rico6115
Recipes 

interesting recipe....did u take a SG or have a projected FG? its gotta be a BIG cider with all the sugar, right? i love blueberries and i think this ones on deck for the next experiment. Also if you put 4 pounds in teh primary, how many pounds would be in the secondary?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #19
Tusch
Recipes 

Well considering I was a cheap ass when I started this, with next to no money to devout to homebrewing (SWMBO is still a gf, so she's more expensive than a wife), I don't own a hydrometer. But I have ordered one and will start to brew using it. Unfortunately I don't have a SG, but with my new hydrometer I should be able to get an accurate reading of when it is done. And I guess at this point it really isn't a cider, because even with guessing on the OG, it would be more accurate to call it a Blueberry/Apple wine, I suppose.

When I do rack to secondary, I will take a tasting and see where the blueberry flavor is at. I will be adding between 3-5 more lbs of blueberries. I have read that just an estimate would be, 1lb;gal for essence, and 2 lbs/gal for dominating flavor.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 AM   #20
Tusch
Recipes 

Tool a Hydro reading tonight, finally got one, and it was sitting comfortably at 1.002 Looks like it ready to be racked over, I am thinking wednesday if this reading is constant. Buy some blueberries and get it going.