Keg Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arell12

Reaction score
I've read countless threads about bottling conditioning to carbonate and to further condition the beer. My question is if you keg, how can you condition your beer further? Some flavors mellow over time in the bottle at room temp, but if you've kegged how can you achieve the same thing?

My usual process usually involves 1-2 week primary (until fermentation has finished - same hydro reading over a couple days). Then I rack to secondary for 2 weeks (I find I get more yeast to drop out this way). Next i cold crash for a couple days. Once it has cold crashed I rack to Keg and carbonate in the keezer. Doing it this way I don't see how I can gain benefits from bottle conditioning in terms of mellowing out some flavors.

No mystery to it: let the keg warm up to cellar or room temperature - your choice - and let it sit for as long as you want...

Cheers!

I've read countless threads about bottling conditioning to carbonate and to further condition the beer. My question is if you keg, how can you condition your beer further? Some flavors mellow over time in the bottle at room temp, but if you've kegged how can you achieve the same thing?

My usual process usually involves 1-2 week primary (until fermentation has finished - same hydro reading over a couple days). Then I rack to secondary for 2 weeks (I find I get more yeast to drop out this way). Next i cold crash for a couple days. Once it has cold crashed I rack to Keg and carbonate in the keezer. Doing it this way I don't see how I can gain benefits from bottle conditioning in terms of mellowing out some flavors.

I go from secondary to the keg. I use less priming sugar/malt than bottling. About .75 oz per gallon. I then let it sit at room temp for 7-10 days and then put it in my lagering chamber until a spot opens in my kegerator. Usually, 10-15 days depending on my pipeline.

My best corny kegged beer gets dryhopped in the keg after about 17 days in the fermenter, then a one day (or more) cold crash. After kegging, I pour out about 8 ounces of sludgy beer that has settled in about a day of chilling and under CO2 pressure. I usually carbonate with about 25 psi for a couple of days, then a week at about 10psi. Then test the beer. If I can stand to wait, the flavor is usually much better after about a month for full hop infusion, settling and conditioning. Some brewers claim that waiting for months makes the beer better yet.

I go from secondary to the keg. I use less priming sugar/malt than bottling. About .75 oz per gallon. I then let it sit at room temp for 7-10 days and then put it in my lagering chamber until a spot opens in my kegerator. Usually, 10-15 days depending on my pipeline.

At that point what pressure are you using to serve? This process you described is exactly what I want to do because I haven't been happy with the carbonation from legging - the bubbles are not fine enough 😄

I usually serve at 4-6 PSI. I take the keg straight from my lagering chamber, where I cold crash, to my kegerator so it's ready to go.

Back