Multiple Carboy/Bucket Fermentation Chamber Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaFunke

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm looking to ferment a maximum of four carboys or buckets each containing a different ale at a different stage in fermentation thus requiring a different temp. Each carboy/bucket will have its own thermowell, temperature controller, and fermwrap.

Where I'm looking for advice is how to best control temperature of the chest overall? I live in southern Texas and the fermentation chamber will be in my garage. Temperatures in the winter can be as low as 25 degrees overnight and summer temps can get as high as 115.

Here's what I'm thinking - and by all means, tell me I'm way off with this:

Can I control the temp of each carboy/bucket by using fermwrap to maintain proper wort temp while I use the cooling capability of the freezer to keep the ambient temperature in the freezer a few degrees below the lowest wort temperature required.

Am I overthinking/under-engineering this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You only need to use temp control for active fermentation, it's really most important during the most vigorous part of ferm when the yeast are creating the most heat.

Within reason once the yeast are mostly done they don't care about their temp.

Whoops..didn't see the 25-115...yeah that's no bueno.

You don't have a spare closet you can put then in after the first 4-5 days?

Hey friend- I don't have room indoors. The garage is really the only option. Is there a good way to be able to raise the temp in a freezer when the outside temps drop? I've seen the idea about light bulbs but they would seem to heat up the freezer too fast. Plus I'm not a big fan of using a light source.
Any ideas?

Hey friend- I don't have room indoors. The garage is really the only option. Is there a good way to be able to raise the temp in a freezer when the outside temps drop? I've seen the idea about light bulbs but they would seem to heat up the freezer too fast. Plus I'm not a big fan of using a light source.
Any ideas?

Yours is sounding more like a situation for 4 ducted chambers in the same insulated box with a non-frost-free fridge as the cooling source (preferably with a large amount of thermal mass in it). This is not a complex build but will require four different temperature controllers and four 12V high capacity cooling fans.

Any ideas?

I use a cheap ($15) ceramic heater that has a built in fan bought at wally world, seems to do a good job of keeping the temps up in my mini fridge when the temp gets to the single digits.

Back