questions on EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > questions on EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein

Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok i know this may sound like a real noob question but i don't know because i have never done this before except with a mr beer kit and only one batch at that. i want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread. any ideas or suggestions?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts

try the main Apfelwein and put corn syrup in the search this thread drop down

BTW its n00b

Old 01-14-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
try the main Apfelwein and put corn syrup in the search this thread drop down

BTW its n00b
thank you i forgot about the search feature, sad thing considering i used to be a mod on an IT forum. and i understand it is noob but i am still noob i have not even opened my first bottle of home brew yet it is still priming and then i will let it condition for atleast 2 more weeks after that.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts

hell I an still a n00b

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 AM   #5
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
thanks i was looking for the orig thread but i could only find the locked on in the recipies forum

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date

Old 01-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcowboy78
ok i know this may sound like a real noob question but i don't know because i have never done this before except with a mr beer kit and only one batch at that. i want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread. any ideas or suggestions?

Don't use that syrup, if you have too use table sugar. Definately don't use bread/cake yeast. Go to your local home brew shop and buy montrachet for a $1.25

While you are at it you might as well pick up corn sugar.

Don't waste you time & $$$ with cheap substitutes. You will only be disappointed when the results are lackluster.

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
flowerysong

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflcowboy78
I want to try making EdWort's Award Winning Apfelwein and i was wondering if i could use kayro corn syrup instad of corn sugar they are pretty much the same thing right? and also if i could use quick acting yeast like what you get in the store for making bread.
Corn syrup is mainly glucose, corn sugar is dextrose. Corn syrup can also contain other added ingredients, such as vanilla flavouring. While you can use it, it's not a one to one substitute.

Bread yeast will ferment sugars into alcohol, which means you can use it. However, different strains of yeast have different characteristics, and the things that make a good bread yeast are not the same things that make for a good wine/cider/beer yeast. Using it is likely to change the result drastically.

In summary: the substitutions that you're considering will have unpredictable effects on the wine. If you're prepared to accept the possibility of failure the ingredients and time cost wouldn't be overly high, so you could give it a try. Even though you might end up with something drinkable, it won't be Edwort's Apfelwein.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
sirsloop
Recipes 

Jun 2006
South River, NJ
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

You *can make beer from your local supermarkets products, but you'll make much better beer if you buy the right products from a homebrew shop.
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

Or just buy a cheap bottle of vodka and a sixer of bullet

Old 01-14-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
sflcowboy78
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Fort Worth, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thank you for your time and advise guys i need all the help i can get. my last 3 shinks have all quit on me. lol. no but really i am new to this and i am sure all these questions have been asked before and i should have used the search function. but again like a noob i did not but thank you for your time and advice.

Bottled - I drank it all...
Primary #1 - Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #2 - Pomegranat Apfelwein 5 gal
Primary #3 -
Planning - Irish Red, Stout???, more Apfelwein

I am a little behind but 10 gallons to date