I really goofed!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhallman619

Reaction score
So I brewed my batch last night and it called for 6lbs DME and 6lbs LME..

Well I forgot my LME, and already topped off with water and pitched yeast.:confused:

Anything I can do??

Thanks

It's still somewhat early; pitch the LME. What do you have to lose? If you keep it the way it is I am thinking your malt to ibu ratio would make it undrinkable. Not sure of your recipe specs though. Just my 2 cents

Some might say to reboil for a minute with LME to sanitize and then repitch more yeast. That's another option.

Never happened to me so I don't know one way or the other for sure.

Gently heat the LME in a half gallon of water to 170°F. Pour the same volume from the fermentor, and add the chilled LME. What you pour out will be diluted DME, so the SG points won't change the wort as much as not having the LME.

I went with yooper's suggestion. Warmed up LME with a little water.

Added to fermenter. Gave is a good stir with a sanitized spoon, and pitched a little bit more yeast (1/2 a dry pack).

That's for all the suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well, the yeast is definitely going crazy with the super late addition of the LME that I had forgotten!

My question is, with the last addition of the LME, how will that affect my Malt to IBU ratio? Significant? will it balance out? Too soon to tell?

Also, now that I have no idea what my ABV will be (even without the forgotten LME, my OG was 1.072) how much priming sugar should I add to carb this up? My original recipe was a target ABV of 10.8, so I would assume that I would add something extra to help with carbination?

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Well, the yeast is definitely going crazy with the super late addition of the LME that I had forgotten!

My question is, with the last addition of the LME, how will that affect my Malt to IBU ratio? Significant? will it balance out? Too soon to tell?

You may have gotten slightly better hop utilization with a wort closer to 1.048, but it probably will not be noticeable.

Also, now that I have no idea what my ABV will be (even without the forgotten LME, my OG was 1.072)
ABV will be calculated according to the OG of the recipe and the FG achieved. Late addition of the LME will have no effect on ABV. The yeast will use it all.

how much priming sugar should I add to carb this up? My original recipe was a target ABV of 10.8, so I would assume that I would add something extra to help with carbination?

OG and FG has nothing to do with the amount of priming sugar to use, unless you stall the fermentation by racking to a secondary after seven days, or whatever the recipe instructions specify.
The amount of priming sugar to use depends upon how many volumes of CO2 you want in the beer, after bottle conditioning is complete.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Let the fermentation finish. Take a gravity reading at about 15 days,and another about 3 days later. You will be ready to bottle when the SG is stable and the hydrometer samples are clear.

Update: After 2 1/2 weeks in the primary, my FG was 1.026, and stable.. After some calculation and equating for the SUPER LATE addition of LME, my ABV should be sitting between 11 and 12%

Just racked to secondary on top of Rye Whiskey soaked oak Chips. Tastes great so far!

Question: For this 11 or 12 % big RIS, should I add more yeast at bottling, or just prime it with corn sugar? I'm looking for CO2 vol of 2.1-2.3

Thanks for all the help so far!

Back