Muskoka Detour Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin3777

Reaction score
hi guys and gals.

Was wondering if anyone had a clone for muskoka detour ipa. I had my first one over the holidays and found it pretty tasty for an all around beer. Also any reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks

I was also interested in a clone of Detour. Did you ever attempt to build a recipe? I was going to take a shot at it this week or next.

no i havent done it yet. i forgot about it till now lol. maybe i will attempt it on my next brew day.

Haven't made it, but here's a clone http://www.fermentationriot.com/recipeviewer.php?beerID=80

I tried my own version of this recipe. I didn't change much from the link posted earlier but these were the changes I made:

8oz of Crystal 30L; as opposed to the 8oz of Crystal 60L
The reason behind this change was mostly appearance. I'm not sure how much darker the 60L would make this, but I was very very close in appearance when I used the 30L. The colour was indistinguishable at least.

1oz of Simcoe dry-hopped; as opposed to 1oz of Sorachi Ace dry-hopped
Detour has a very prominent piney aroma and taste in my opinion. Sorachi + Citra felt like it would be too much citrus. Even with Simcoe + Citra it was still more citrus than the real detour. I actually prefer the Simcoe + Citra combo over whatever the Detour uses...but that's besides the point. I think there still needs to be a bit more pine or grass hops in the dry hopping.

When I did some blind tastes with friends most of them couldn't tell the difference between my version and detour. That being said they are not huge beer drinkers. I could tell the difference, but it's pretty darn close.

Thanks for the update. I think I'm going to brew this soon, but I'll use Crystal 40 (since I have some on hand) and the hops as per the original recipe. If it comes out anything close to Detour, I'll be happy

Looking to brew this Detour clone this coming weekend. If looking at the recipe in the link below it says to ferment Safale-05 at 56 degrees. Isn't that temp a little low?

I also want to substitute out the Safale-05 for Wyeast 1056 only because I have some 1056 on hand.

Recipe link: http://www.fermentationriot.com/recipeviewer.php?beerID=80

Any help, guidance, or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Yeah, I think that's too low.
Maybe a typo for 65F?

My family loves Detour, but I'm not blown away by it.

Still, it's nice to have a good clone in the bank when they want some beer.

Ya that's what I was thing about the typo as well. I still had to ask though. Thanks for the reply.

I ended up brewing it with the C40. It's good, but not 100% Detour. The hops were a little weak, and I wonder if it'd be better to maybe add some at flame out or something. That said, I'd still make it again, just might tweak the hop additions

Hi All. First time poster here.
I made a batch of the Detour clone from http://www.fermentationriot.com/recipeviewer.php?beerID=80 as I find Detour to be a nice easy drinking brew. The OG was a bit down on what the recipe stated but I'm not too worried. I also substituted Mosaic 0.5oz @30 mins and 0.5oz @15 mins instead of the El Dorado since everywhere was out of stock.
My question is about the dry hop schedule... are the 5 days and 3 days the number of days before bottling that I should add the hops, or the number of days after the start of fermentation?

Hi All. First time poster here.
I made a batch of the Detour clone from http://www.fermentationriot.com/recipeviewer.php?beerID=80 as I find Detour to be a nice easy drinking brew. The OG was a bit down on what the recipe stated but I'm not too worried. I also substituted Mosaic 0.5oz @30 mins and 0.5oz @15 mins instead of the El Dorado since everywhere was out of stock.
My question is about the dry hop schedule... are the 5 days and 3 days the number of days before bottling that I should add the hops, or the number of days after the start of fermentation?
I think it means 5 & 3 days before bottling, at least that's how I read it when I brewed this recipe (makes sense as most hop additions are written in count-down form).
Also, I think your decision to sub Mosaic for the El Dorado was a good call (why is it so damn difficult to get El Dorado in Toronto, anyway?) Please post back with your results, as I'm thinking of trying the same thing and would love to know how it turns out. Cheers!

For what it's worth, Detour is 30 IBUs and 4.3% ABV. That's a good start if anyone wants to try and make a better clone recipe. I find the aroma of Detour to be very close to that of Mad Tom, which uses Chinook and Centennial hops.

I think it means 5 & 3 days before bottling, at least that's how I read it when I brewed this recipe (makes sense as most hop additions are written in count-down form).
Also, I think your decision to sub Mosaic for the El Dorado was a good call (why is it so damn difficult to get El Dorado in Toronto, anyway?) Please post back with your results, as I'm thinking of trying the same thing and would love to know how it turns out. Cheers!

Thanks for your help everyone! I figured that's what it meant re: the hop schedule. Forgot to note that I also substituted 1lb of crystal 30 instead of using the crystal 60.
Brew North on Queen stocks El Dorado, but they were all out when I visited so Mosaic was the recommended substitute.
In terms of the ABV, mine might work out to be a bit closer to the real detour than the recipe (when I calculated the ABV using the OG and FG in the recipe it didn't add up anyway - said 5.9% instead of 5.5%).

I will definitely report back when it's ready to drink!

Just wanted to post a quick update on the Detour clone, since it went into the bottles today.
It certainly looks like Detour and has a bit of the same cloudiness to it. Smells a lot like it too (kind of piney, resin smell with some tropical fruit mixed in). Took a sip and it's a bit lighter than Detour. Will report back in a few weeks when it's ready to go. I have some genuine Detour in cans standing by for a side-by-side comparison.

Just a quick update on my attempt at this recipe, now that it's spent a few weeks in the bottle and I've done some tasting. I compared it to the genuine Detour, and also asked some coworkers to try it.
The colour is a bit darker than Detour and it's less carbonated. Detour is also clearer than my brew. Taste-wise it's not bad, but it lacks some of the hop aroma you get from Detour - that fresh piney scent. Maybe if I make this again, I will add some hops late on in the boil, or at flame-out.

Just a quick update on my attempt at this recipe, now that it's spent a few weeks in the bottle and I've done some tasting. I compared it to the genuine Detour, and also asked some coworkers to try it.
The colour is a bit darker than Detour and it's less carbonated. Detour is also clearer than my brew. Taste-wise it's not bad, but it lacks some of the hop aroma you get from Detour - that fresh piney scent. Maybe if I make this again, I will add some hops late on in the boil, or at flame-out.
Are you still brewing it? Would like to know because I want to start my own

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com
they have some El Dorado

Hi everyone!

Old thread but came across it when discussing a Muskoka Detour clone with some local brewers looking for a clone I recommend my Electric Pale Ale (sessionable version) - recipe here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27506

It's very similar: Same IBU and ABV, similar citra dry hop profile, and similar malt taste. Detour was my inspiration when making my version.

If you do brew it, let me know how you like it! Cheers!

Kal

Hi,

Toying around with the idea of brewing some beer. I wonder if any one has just tried using what they have posted on the Muskoka website
Malts Marris Otter, Dextra Pils, 2 Row Malt. Hops El Dorado, Citra, Sorachi Ace. I am from the Sarnia area and would like to learn how brewing it done.

Back