Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > A couple brewing questions

Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A couple brewing questions

I'm about to brew my 2nd all grain today and had a few questions. By the way, I'm brewing Tuck's Espresso Chocolate Stout.

I'm going to be brewing my first all grain stout, so the first question is: do I put the specialty grains in the mash with the maltible grains? Here's my grain bill:

12.0 lbs American 2-row
1.0 lbs American Chocolate Malt
2.0 lbs Crystal Malt 10L
1.0 lbs Roasted Barley

Next question: has anyone brewed with light brown sugar or molasses? The recipe calls for a pound of each but I dont know if I'm supposed to prime with it, add it to the boil, or flame out or what. That sounds like a lot to prime with to me if that's the case.

Thanks for the input.

Sean

Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yes you mash everything together. Just be careful not to go too hot with the Roasted Barley. You can extract tannins which will lead to astringency. I can't say what the brown sugar & molasses are for in your case, but I've added them to the boil before. When I use sugars, I add them around the 10 minute mark...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Soulive gives good info. my comment about roasted barley, is I've been given the tip to keep that malt separate, and add it when you do the first drain/recirculate (vorlauf). that'll keep it from getting overwhelming.

seems like a lot of brown sugar AND molasses. if it was a half pound of each it wouldn't seem like so much.
but it appears to be an established recipe...maybe go with light molasses and light brown sugar?
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Vagrant

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I will cut my brown sugar and molasses additions.

So you suggest I add the darker grains during vorlauf.. will that be enough time @ x degrees to extract the srm and flavors from it?

What temperature should I mash at? I forgot to ask that. Is there a standard single infusion temperature or is it something that brewsmith/promash calculates?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would probably mash at 156. the sugar is probably to dry out the beer. If the recipe calls for it I would say it's worth a try. that does seem like a lot of sugar.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Mash all the grains together, including the specialty grains. At the end of the boil, add the sugar and mollases with ten minutes remaining. I agree with the other guys. I would only add 1 pound total of additional sugars to the boil.