American Light Lager Ahab's Prize Light Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

November

...relax...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafLager S-23
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
<1.008
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
@54F
Additional Fermentation
Lager @ 32F
Tasting Notes
A light lager with some flavor.
Ahab's Prize

OG: 1.038
FG: <1.008
IBU: 12.6
Color: 5.7 SRM
ABV: ~4%
Batch Size: 11g into fermenter (10g yield)

Recipe:
10lbs German Munich (9 SRM)
2lbs 8oz White Sugar
1oz US Goldings (4%) @ 90m
1oz US Goldings (4%) @ 10m
1oz US Goldings (4%) @ whirlpool (30m)
1 whirlfloc tablet @ 5m
5.5tsp Amylase in mash (optional)
Gelatin @ Lagering

2pkgs SafLager S-23 (rehydrated)

Mash Schedule:
30m @ 122F
30m @ 140F
30m @ 158F

History:
With four available taps, I try to keep a light lager on tap at all times. I live very close to the US-Mexico Border which makes this the heart of Bud Light land so this is often the gateway beer that I use to introduce people to homebrew. That said, its also a good beer when doing physical labor out in a hot summer sun.

This is my 16th iteration of this recipe with various changes. I try to keep bottles of the others on hand and usually try to have people try several head-to-head. As of the writing of this, this recipe is the current winner.

Past versions used different base grains and adjuncts. If you make this recipe but switch the Munich for 2-row, you end up with a super light, almost clear, beer. Surprisingly, even Bud light fans said it was too light especially when they tried it side by side with this version. I went with white suger over other adjuncts just because of ease. I needed something to dry the beer out a little and sugar worked just as well as rice and corn and was easier to deal with. A future tweak I may try could be a blend of 80/20 munich/2-row just to adjust the color a little.

Steps:
Follow a three rest step mash for 30m at each step with the munich. You can add amylase if you want but I'm not sure it is really needed with the long step mash. If you cant step mash, mash low and long and add the amylase.

Sparge and bring to a boil. Add sugar at 90m and follow hopping schedule. I like US Goldings in this version, but I have used Cluster and Hallertau to good effect before. A citrus hop like Cascade could make for an interesting but very different beer.

Add whirlfloc and cool and pitch two packets of S-23. I used dry yeast because I make this often and didn't want to mess with a starter. I cool to 48, pitch and put in the fermentation cabinet set to 54. Once primary fermentation is done, I add gelatin and crash, after is clears I rack it into kegs and lager before serving.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Im just curious about the s23 yeast.
Ive used it before in low to mid 50s and had batches with peachy tastes.
Have u had this at all?
Also read the higher 50s is recommended for this yeast as most people have had best results near 60.
Thanks

Hhmmm ok.What was your ferment schedule like? Drest at all?.
Thanks

I cool to, pitch, and ferment at 49. I let it ferment till completion and don't do a d-rest or change the temp till I lager. I lager for 1 month at 32.

Hope that helps. Drinking a glass of this right now. Great beer for warm weather.

November,

I realize this thread is old, but I hope there is still life.

I made your beer. So good! Well done! The use of sugar is an elegant solution. The resulting beer is light with malt forward character. A true crowd pleaser.

I am searching for a lighter version and will be trying your suggestion of an 80/20 - Munich/2 row, in an attempt to mimic a Corona.

What was your experience with the 80/20 split? would you have gone (have you gone) lighter. I saw that an entirely 2-row recipe was too light. I am wondering where the line is for a Lime-friendly-lawn-champion might be?

Any input and all advice is welcome.

I wouldn't follow this recipe if you want to mimic Corona - this would be way better than corona!

For corona, try something like
85% 2-row
15% flaked maize
10% dextrose/corn sugar
Use some rice hulls to help with the sticky maize
Aim for an OG around 1.042
Mash long and lowish
Use a clean bittering hop to 12IBU. Optionally a very small amount of noble hops (about 1/3oz) at 15 mins.
Mexican lager yeast.

I wouldn't follow this recipe if you want to mimic Corona - this would be way better than corona!

For corona, try something like
85% 2-row
15% flaked maize
10% dextrose/corn sugar
Use some rice hulls to help with the sticky maize
Aim for an OG around 1.042
Mash long and lowish
Use a clean bittering hop to 12IBU. Optionally a very small amount of noble hops (about 1/3oz) at 15 mins.
Mexican lager yeast.

Yes, Thank you for the Corona clone recipe.

My question was what the outcome for lighten this beer by 20% of the original Munich for 2row would be. Do you have experience with this recipe? have you lighted the recipe from the original? And if there was experience with any other ratio between 100% Munich 0% 2 row, and 0% Munich and 100% 2 row.

I've made it with a variety of ratios. Right now with how hot it is here, the batch I have on hand is 80/20 2 row/Munich.

I've also been toying with a batch that I added glucoamylase to. That definitely lightened it up and dried it out but it's still more flavorful than regular light beers.

Good luck. I don't think you'll go wrong with that ratio.

I've made it with a variety of ratios. Right now with how hot it is here, the batch I have on hand is 80/20 2 row/Munich.

I've also been toying with a batch that I added glucoamylase to. That definitely lightened it up and dried it out but it's still more flavorful than regular light beers.

Good luck. I don't think you'll go wrong with that ratio.

Good to hear.
I have described the original recipe as an amber lager. Something like Amber Bock. The truly die hard light/lite beer drinker thinks it is too dark. Can you imagine, but there she is. I, as you, chase the lite beer (preferably good with the lime), but with out having the corn flavor.

Thank you for your reply. And this wonderful recipe. I can see some kind of it on tap regularly by me.

I may give the glucoamylase a try on the third iteration. If that day should be I will reply with my experience.

Hello November (and all else)

I made the 80% Munich Dark (9L)/ 20% 2 Row variation of this beer.

It is good. A lime beer for sure which is the goal! Cheers!!

I can detect a slight malty "off flavor." It reminds me of the kind of flavor a one has when he uses corn (although I used no corn). My thought is that the darker Municher (8-10L) is the source of the taste. More of him and the beer would be fuller flavor, see above; but, less as I have brewed and there is this off-ness. It is funny because this "off-ness" is not unlike the same flavor I detect in a Corona.

My thought was to try the 80/20 recipe but use the light Munich (5-6L). Have you tried this? If so I am having all ears?!

Bravo, again on a wonder recipe.

Back