Mistake - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mistake

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Big Erik
Recipes 
 
Oct 2004
Posts: 3


Joined: 20 October 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Posted: 20 October 2004 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Big Erik
Last weekend I bottled a beer kit and then proceeded to make another. When I was adding the sugar I realized to my horror that I had primed the freshly bottled batch with a full kg of sugar ( 7 cups instead of 1.5). So this is what I did after cursing myself soundly, I opened all 65 bottles and used them to start another kit -by using the over primed beer instead of water and keeping everthing else the same minus the sugar. ------- What do you think? will it work?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Rahbek
Recipes 
 
Sep 2004
Denmark, Europe
Posts: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Erik
Joined: 20 October 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Posted: 20 October 2004 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote Big Erik
Last weekend I bottled a beer kit and then proceeded to make another. When I was adding the sugar I realized to my horror that I had primed the freshly bottled batch with a full kg of sugar ( 7 cups instead of 1.5). So this is what I did after cursing myself soundly, I opened all 65 bottles and used them to start another kit -by using the over primed beer instead of water and keeping everthing else the same minus the sugar. ------- What do you think? will it work?
I think it will be alright, especially if you gave the whole lot a good boil, like 30 mins or so. How did you go about the hops? Is your kit prehopped? You will probably be better off substituting the sugar in the kit recipe with dried malt extract. You'll probably want to combine your beer kit malt extract and dried malt extract to a total of 3 kgs (6 to 7lbs) this will give much fuller tasting beer.

Good luck, hope to hear how you go!

Happy homebrewing!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 AM   #3
Big Erik
Recipes 
 
Oct 2004
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahbek
I think it will be alright, especially if you gave the whole lot a good boil, like 30 mins or so. How did you go about the hops? Is your kit prehopped? You will probably be better off substituting the sugar in the kit recipe with dried malt extract. You'll probably want to combine your beer kit malt extract and dried malt extract to a total of 3 kgs (6 to 7lbs) this will give much fuller tasting beer.

Good luck, hope to hear how you go!

Happy homebrewing!
My kit is for 23 litres and is in a syrup form that I add hot water to and yeast.
I use a process with good results called dry hopping. Hops are added directly to the primary without boiling the wort. Then just before bottling I add a heading powder, then let the bottles sit and voila! very consumable beer. Right now I am getting good fermentation from my hybrid batch. Good idea with the malt extract ,however I already had enough sugar ( the problem ). Im thinking that I won't find out till I drink it. Is it possible that because of the two fermentations that I will have a high alcohol content beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:23 AM   #4
brewman82
Recipes 
 
Dec 2004
Bellingham, WA
Posts: 7

I was under the impression that alcohol in a higher concentration can adversely affect yeast. I would worry about the alcohol that is already present and being furher produced having an effect on your fermentation. Anybody know about this? You will most definately have a higher alcohol content beer in the end so this may be a concern for you near the end of your second fermentation - but maybe not ;-) Hope it comes out well for you!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


I would have left them in the bottle then made another batch to offset the mistakes you made the first time and then mixed them after boiling the second batch.

In brewing, 2 opposites (wrongs) can make a good brew (right) when mixed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
JEM Australia
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 54

I think you might have trouble getting it to ferment right out. This might leave unfermented sugars in the bottles and cause them to explode. Just check your final gravity. If it is normal then you might get away with it. The problem is that normal brewing yeasts don't like too much alcohol and they stop fermenting. I think you need to use a wine yeast to be able to ferment to high alcohol levels.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #7
NUCC98
 
NUCC98's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2004
Providence, RI
Posts: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM Australia
I think you might have trouble getting it to ferment right out. This might leave unfermented sugars in the bottles and cause them to explode. Just check your final gravity. If it is normal then you might get away with it. The problem is that normal brewing yeasts don't like too much alcohol and they stop fermenting. I think you need to use a wine yeast to be able to ferment to high alcohol levels.
I hear Champagne yeast is good for that too....I think I used Nottingham yeast for my Imperial Stout....I think it fared OK....
__________________
You Won't Find Moments In A Box...And Someone Else Will Set Your Clocks...

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun mistake carnevoodoo General Beer Discussion 11 05-21-2009 12:21 PM
First Mistake - What Now beachman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-20-2008 02:24 PM
Big mistake? ryan_boc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-22-2007 05:22 AM
So what do you think of this mistake? pirate252 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 09-10-2007 03:25 PM
Mistake? Beermaker All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-19-2006 11:11 PM


Forum Jump