Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun & Keggle

Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #1
WhoAmI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun & Keggle

I decided I want to make the jump to all-grain and bought everything I need. I bought a Zydeco (Sp) kit to convert a keg and a cooler to a keggle and mash tun respectively. Of course, both leaked. I sealed both with kitchen silicone sealant rated to 400 degrees, and FDA approved. Has anyone else used anything like this? I am a bit concerned about the 400 degree rating on a keggle, but the o-rings that came with the valve specifically designed for keggles are only rated to 450...

I also created a manifold, but I'm concerned about whether I gave it enough surface area or not, and also some of my slices are a little bigger than I'd like. I attached a couple pictures of the manifold if anyone can give me some input. I am planning on doing my first AG on Sunday, probably the Haus Pale Ale since everyone seems to enjoy it and it's fairly simple.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I fashioned my own bulkheads and such for my cooler conversion and have never had a leak, even when finger tight. I purchased the bulkhead for my keggle, and again, never had a leak. Most seals will leak if they are too tight actually... did you check that?

Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
WhoAmI
Recipes 

I tightened it pretty tight, but I don't think tight enough to cause the leak. On the cooler it's because the hole for the drain was slightly damaged and elongated, so I filled it with the silicone. So far, they are both water tight now. I'm just afraid of what high heat will do. Guess I'll find out...

Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If your hole in the cooler is a bit too big that may be the leak. I would go with a bigger bulkhead and make sure the hole is round and the correct diameter. Like you said the heat might make it leak and there goes your batch of expensive beer.

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Id think the silicone will work for the cooler, Id be wary of the keggle if it is that close to the fire...

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
WhoAmI
Recipes 

I think I have the cooler and keg setup figured out. My last question is about my manifold; I scrapped the slots and started over with individual 1/16th of an inch holes on the bottom half of the pipe (smallest drill bit I could find). Does this setup look like it will work fairly well for sparging, both fly and batch? The hole manifold will have the holes drilled when I'm done. This is all I've completed so far. Again, thanks for the input and putting up with all of my stupid beginner's questions.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoAmI
I think I have the cooler and keg setup figured out. My last question is about my manifold; I scrapped the slots and started over with individual 1/16th of an inch holes on the bottom half of the pipe (smallest drill bit I could find). Does this setup look like it will work fairly well for sparging, both fly and batch? The hole manifold will have the holes drilled when I'm done. This is all I've completed so far. Again, thanks for the input and putting up with all of my stupid beginner's questions.

Do not drill ALL the tubes...

Please read THESE PAGES and then you will understand why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #8
WhoAmI
Recipes 

Thanks, had read that but it seems all the images I have seen on here have all the pipes drilled or slotted. Is leaving the outer pipes solid still the recommended method or has actual practice shown that to be less efficient?