5 gallons or 5.5 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallons or 5.5

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
Rivercat96
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Orangevale, CA
Posts: 86
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts



I saw someone post a thread a few weeks ago that talked about using 5.5 gallons of water instead of the normal 5 gallons for a extract brew. I couldn't find the thread again so wanted to know if anyone sees a problem using a half gallon more water in the wort? I wanted to add the extra half gallon so I would compensate for the loss of beer through evaporation and transferring between containers. I don't see why it'd be a problem other than it would water down the beer a small amount. Thoughts anybody? Thanks.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #2
kaptain_karma
 
kaptain_karma's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2005
San Francisco
Posts: 304
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


When I did extract brews, I cooled my wort, then poured it through a strainer into my fermenter. The strainer caught all the coagulated gunk from the hot and cold breaks, so I never lost more than a quart through sediment in the primary. Now I brew all grain and use a counter flow wort chiller. All of the cold break piles up in the bottom of my fermenter, so I usuall shoot for about 5.5 gallons post-boil.

If you have extra malt extract sitting around, you could add a few ounces of that and an extar quart of water. Really though, the loss of volume is small and doesn't affect the quality beer, so why mess with pre-formulated recipes.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Ridge Runner
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Florence, KY
Posts: 333
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Do it when you transfer your wort to your fermenter. I top up to 5.25-5.5gal all the time with no troubles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


90% of my brews are 5.25 gals, the other 10% are 5.5 gals.

It really depends on if you are trying to hit a target OG of if you just want to make sure you bottle 5 gals after all the testing/sampling/racking.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivercat96
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Orangevale, CA
Posts: 86
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Thanks for the feedback folks. I knew it wasn't a big deal to add an extra half gallon to the primary but I kinda wanted to know what everyone else does. I actually brewed last night and added a total of 5.25 gallons. Happy brewing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts


The only drawbacks to adding too much water are it's thinner and has less alcoholic brew...that is unless the predicted OG is met then all's well.


__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
100 gallons... Arkador DIY Projects 88 09-08-2012 03:41 PM
Do I have to do all 5 gallons? Timber Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 04-22-2008 02:35 AM
100 Gallons!??! jjasghar General Beer Discussion 45 05-31-2007 07:57 PM
Boiling all 5 gallons vs. using just 1.5 gallons of water rockout Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-10-2007 08:04 PM
2 or 3 Gallons? BBQBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-13-2005 01:09 AM


Forum Jump