Not a good brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
Along with my wort chiller suddenly leaking and spraying scalding hot water all over my kitchen, I overshot my OG by 20 points. It was supposed to be a helles with an OG of 1.050, and instead I got 1.070. Not sure if it was the decoction mashing or my new heat stick for the boil, but I ended up having to add almost a full gallon of spring water to get back down to 1.050. Is this going to end up tasting terrible? It had better be drinkable, given this 8 hour+ brew day, complete with mishaps.

Agreed, yeast given a chance can do magical things! Chalk it up as a learning experience with a batch of (likely) yummy brew to boot.

How far off was your volume before the top up to hit your target O.G.?
And not to beat a dead horse, but hose clamps and barbed fittings are a necessity. I've had my output blow off, scalding my precious zones...Kyle

The only difference I can see is if you added the spring water before the boil all will be good. If you did it after the boil then you might not get quite as much out of your hops however the amount of hops in a Helles is minimal so after saying all of that, your good!:mug:

Latest posts

Back