Is yeast supposed to look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I harvested some yeast from the end of a cantillon bottle hoping to cultivate some more of it to use for a beer in a few months. After 2 days or so on the stir plate, i crashed it and when decanted, this is what I got. It doesn't look like any yeast I've had before..

JVwel8n.jpg

Looks just like it to me. Stand it up and put it in the fridge a few days, it will separate and look just like store bought

Getting a good culture from dregs always seems to be just the luck of the draw in my experience. No mater how careful I am half the time I end up with microbial contamination. To really know what you have you'll need to look at the morphology some way. That could be with a microscope and/or plating it. But you could also make a 1 liter test batch and see how it comes out.

Here is information on plating:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2012/12/isolating-single-yeast-strain-by-plating.html

You might also consider acid washing it and giving the stir plate another go:
http://www.woodlandbrew.com/2013/03/acid-washing.html

Whatever is in that vial doesn't look copacetic to me.
Just my opinion, but like you said tan is the correct color. That looks septic to me. :eek:
I'm not insulting your brewing skills. Your beer may be terrific, but that pic looks unsettling.

Good Beer should be Good AND Cheap

Since Cantillon is a Lambic, you have more than just yeast in there. Quite possibly the yeast is dead.

Best way to keep and grow that is to get a small amount of low abv beer (quart, half gallon, or gallon), toss that in it, stick on an airlock and forget about it for 6 months. A stir plate isn't going to help the bugs.

Then when you come to use it, decant (and drink if ok) the beer and add the cake to a new batch along with some fresh Belgian yeast.

Back