HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Absopure Spring Water for Mash?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
reshp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Absopure Spring Water for Mash?

Anyone use Absopure Natural Spring Water for AG? I'm planning on using this on my first batch this weekend. (They come in 3 gal plastic jugs that look like better bottles, which I'll be using as carboys for smaller batches since I can't boil more than 5 gals yet). I can't find a water report on their website, and I'm set up to do PH measurements/adjustments yet. Anyone know off hand if this water will give acceptable results? I'll be doing a coriander wheat, grain bill:

7lbs Domestic 2-row
6lbs Wheat Malt
8oz Carapils 10L
(couple handful of rice hulls)

Should I put some 5.2 in there just to be safe?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any water will mash differently depending on the grain bill. Spring water should have a balanced and relatively low mineral content and should mash well for most light, pale, or amber colored beers. I think you'll be OK. If you're all set to measure pH, then you'll know when you mash I suppose. Do you have acids, etc. on hand to adjust if needed?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

To confirm whether or not they are better bottle type plastic bottles look on the bottom at the recycle symbol it should have a 1 inside or near it. And or it will say PETE or PET.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayof2day
If you're all set to measure pH, then you'll know when you mash I suppose. Do you have acids, etc. on hand to adjust if needed?
Actually I don't have PH test equipment yet either. I'll probably get the water chemistry additives at the same time. I did get a bottle of 5.2 with my order though, how well does that stuff work?

Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It works well 99% of the time. With spring water it should be great. Only in extreme situations (off the charts water, or extreme, extreme [usually dark] beers) will it fail. Understanding water is one of the last things people recommend getting into. Make sure your processes are done first, but I think its kind of fun, and from practicle experience, it helped me undserstand why all my stouts tasted like an ash tray. Chapter 15 really helps.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
reshp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
To confirm whether or not they are better bottle type plastic bottles look on the bottom at the recycle symbol it should have a 1 inside or near it. And or it will say PETE or PET.
I went and got them today, they say both 1 inside the recycle symbol and PETE under it. The downside is they have a significant blue tint to them, but other than that they should work fine for fermenting.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Krazy Bazturd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reshp1
Should I put some 5.2 in there just to be safe?
Since you have it go ahead and use it. I also agree with clayof2day that you should focus on your process first.