If any of you remember, I came in here(to HBT) real cocky, talking about doing 25 gallon batches in a HDPE water tank...
Well anyway, I've learned a bunch(including maybe a little humility) and have decided that at very least, a big batch deserves to be split, experimented with and observed.
So far, I've just got this:
It's not much, but I'm hoping it will make me feel better about my cleaning/sanitation methods, and maybe make some noobs feel a little less stress about their practices.
This was just 10 gal, but this will be a 25 gallon 5x batch eventually, and should make for some good "real world"(most people do 5 gallon batches, not 1 gallon experiments) analysis.
My thoughts for the future:
Clearing Tanks(will need to wait for a lighter beer)
Plastic / glass aging
Autolysis of a long aged batch on a yeast cake vs in a bottle(or 2nd)
Mixing of steeped grain "teas" w/ a base hopped wort
I'm only working w/ extract/PM batches now, which might be for the better since it will generally provide for more consistent results.
I guess I've caught the HBT bug. Now I feel compelled to turn what I thought would be a simple process into about as complicated as it can get...