I live in tax hell!!! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I live in tax hell!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just did my tax calculation for 2007 today (or rather, my accountant strapped me tight into the share and gave me a damage report after he had poored me a huge single malt).

Let's just make this clear; If you havn't lived in Sweden, you don't know what taxes are (I'm on my 7:th pint by the way and I still don't feel good at all...)!

I is ***INSANE***. I have my own company and just to visualize my sufferings I'll explain how taxation in Sweden works:

Let's say my company earned 1000 bucks that I want to transfer to me as the owner and as an employee (or to give any employee a paycheck for that matter):

First, because my company is transferring money as a paycheck (salary to an employee) the company has to pay sales tax(!) on the earnings transferred to the paycheck. This would be a minor issue if it wasn't for the fact that in Sweden the sales tax is 25 f****ing percent!!!!

OK, so there's still $750 left, right. Not! Since it is sallary, the company has to pay "labour tax", a tax that the company has to pay, "hidden" to the employee.

The labour tax is a bone chilling 31,68%... OK, fine you think, the employee (me) gets atleast some $500 (now 50% of the earnings).

Yeah, you wish... You have $500 left, but then you have to pay income tax...at the very least 31-32 percent, but anything above $40000 a year and you'll get hit with a mindboggling 50%-55% income tax for everything above that. left to spend is about $250-$300 bucks to buy food, beer (that's food, isn't it?) or whatever you need to buy for your hard earned cach.

Getting $300 (I like to be optimistic) out of a 1000 bucks to buy food (beer) might not soud totally devestating (I'm still pretending I'm a glass half full kind of guy).

If it just stopped there! As I said, the sales tax here in Sweden is a friggin 25%, what ever you purchase the government will rip you off another 25%, leaving you with about $240 for every $1000 bucks earned... THAT sucks *ss (i'll leave it to you guys to calculate the total tax)!

H (ninth pint and still unhappy...)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I've heard that much of Europe ends up paying somewhere between 40-60% of their income in taxes and that Sweden is as bad as it gets. Sorry to hear your troubles mate.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
beergears

Recipes 

Oct 2007
somewhere west of Boston Harba'
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wasn't there some sort of taxation rebalancing within the E.U. in the past few years May have been for investments (think Luxembourg) and such, not earned income..?

Would you say that the vast array of social services found in Scandinavia is too costly?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Iordz
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

At least Sweden isn't using it's tax money to only pay off their debts.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears
Wasn't there some sort of taxation rebalancing within the E.U. in the past few years May have been for investments (think Luxembourg) and such, not earned income..?

Would you say that the vast array of social services found in Scandinavia is too costly?
Well, I beleave Sweden has the highest tax pressure in the free world (a little bit depending on how you count, but we're allwaysin the top three...).

My take on the social security in scandinavia (which is really Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland) is that having an exceptional social security system with (basically) free of charge medical services and very generous unemployment suport is fantastic, but it also wide open for people that want to exploit the generous social security system we have. If you can get 80% of your salary from the government as unemployed, it is easy to get picky about job opportunities. I have no problem helping people in real need, but I really dispice people that take advantage of the system.

H

Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Beerthoven
Recipes 

May 2007
Cary, NC
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I sympathize with you. At least, as a consolation, your government seems to use its tax dollars well.

Sweden has the second highest standard of living in the world (after Norway). It consistently ranks as one of the highest in terms of life expectency, literacy, education, standard of living, and over all well-being.

I would happily pay taxes like that if I thought my government would be responsible with the money and not go off starting wars and such.

Primary/Secondary: #133 Scottish 80/-
Kegged: #132 American Wheat
Planned: IPA, Brown, Pale Ale

Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dragon
It must be going to pay for that military........
Ah, dont even get me starting... In Sweden military service was mandatory (I did 15 months. Pay: 5 bucks a day...). I say "was" becaus it isn't (sort of) anymore. I have the highest military ranking you can have without joining the army as a professional, and still I hated every second of it.

H

Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
I would happily pay taxes like that if I thought my government would be responsible with the money and not go off starting wars and such.
Point taken. I agree, but my view (perhaps somewhat clouded by the gazillion of american ales and ambers I have drunk tonight to figure out my next brew) is that governments sure do a lot of stupid s**t but (not that I think you'll doo) never ever let that spill over to the poor guys actually beeing caught up in the sh*t storm. As my ol' major used to say: "War is f**ing dangerous!".

H

Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
superfluent
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears

No, perhaps not, but it's way too easy to take advantage of it. At a certain point, it gets highly profitable to just hang around, do some "jack of all trades" kind of work on the side and still collect a handsome social security check every month.

(BTW, I used to live in Boston, up at Cleveland Circle, right in between C-line and D-line...)

H

Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

Remember Folks, vote for Hillary or Barack and we too can be blessed with massive taxes like Sweden.