Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wort Chiller Water Usage?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
BNVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Wort Chiller Water Usage?

I have an idea for the usage of all the water that comes out of the wort chiller when I'm cooling. I was thinking of putting the output hose into a bucket with some oxyclean and my bottles that need to be de-labeled. At least this way all that water serves some purpose.

My only concern is that the water may be too hot. What do you think? Do you think the bottles can withstand water around 150 degrees or am I asking for a disaster?

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

The bottles can stand that if they can stand going in my dishwasher. The water is hot in the beginning but only for about 5 minutes. Oxyclean probably works better in warmer water anyway, but thats speculation...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

If you're that worried about it, you could always put a little bit of cold water in the bucket first, to absorb the initial shock of hot water, so it wouldn't get too hot. I really don't think you have anything to worry about though.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
5 Is Not Enough
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've noticed that hot water definitely makes oxy work better.
I'd suggest using all drinking water safe hoses for any water thats used for cleaning food grade products.