SS Brewtech kettles vs Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbiabr

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this is addressed before or elsewhere.

I just ordered the brewtech fermenter (7g) and am trying to decide which kettle to get (15g). I have been lurking in this forum for a few weeks trying to learn from the educated opinions of all the experience here.

It seems to me the brewtech and Blichmann are mentioned most frequently and I have searched other sites for reviews and still haven't come to a clear idea which one or if there is another vendor to consider.

I almost pulled the trigger on the G2 until I ran across a lot of complaints compared to the 1st gen style. The bt didn't seem to have some of the features the g2 did but the cost is lower and seems well made.

I used to brew up until about 10 years ago and am now excited to get back into it. Did a few ag brews just before giving it up and would like to go to BIAB from what I read here and elsewhere.

I desperately need some knowledgeable thoughts on this soon as I would like to brew something before Christmas.

For the money, I don't think that G2 pot is worth it. I do not like that "new and improved" valve they have on there. I mean really, how hard is a 1,2, or 3 piece ball valve to operate. The thing I do like about the blichman pots is the stepped bottom that works well with their false bottoms. I have a G1 15 gal that I use as a MLT. I have other pots for HLT and BK though.

I don't have any practical experience with SS Brewtech's pots, but I do really like my Blichmann. Mine is a G1, but I don't really see what all the fuss is about with the G2 pots. They brought production to the US for pots under 30 gallons, changed the appearance a bit, and developed a new valve.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy either way, but if you have the money, I'd go Blichmann personally. I do believe that my Boilermaker is my favorite piece of equipment in my brewery.

I LOVE my Blich G1s. The sight glass is super convenient, and better protected than any other kettle I am aware of. Love the false bottom, never had a stuck sparge- yet always got high efficiencies. And I don't think any burner outside of making your own system competes with the Blich burners.

I have been looking myself and would have to second the guy that mentioned spike kettles. I think for the money they are great. Here is the truth though, if you know how to brew beer, you can brew it in morebeer kettle and it isnt going to be any worse or better than the blichman. Good luck!:mug:

Check out Spike's.... 15 Gallon Kettle with two welded couplers for $210.... I am pulling the trigger on 2 - 20 Gallon pots myself!

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/15-gallon-stainless-kettles/products/15-gallon-home-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers

Thanks for the website. Don't know why I didn't come across this with all the research I have been doing. The kettles look great. Not sure of the pro's & con's for horizontal vs vertical couplers. Are there any?

For the money, I don't think that G2 pot is worth it. I do not like that "new and improved" valve they have on there. I mean really, how hard is a 1,2, or 3 piece ball valve to operate. The thing I do like about the blichman pots is the stepped bottom that works well with their false bottoms. I have a G1 15 gal that I use as a MLT. I have other pots for HLT and BK though.

Thanks dress for the info. I have read a lot of questions concerning the new valve, particularly that it is proprietary. Other concerns center on brushed vs the finish on the g1.

Checked out Spike kettles and they seem of good quality but I haven't learned much about them yet.

I apologize in advance if this is addressed before or elsewhere.

I just ordered the brewtech fermenter (7g) and am trying to decide which kettle to get (15g). I have been lurking in this forum for a few weeks trying to learn from the educated opinions of all the experience here.

It seems to me the brewtech and Blichmann are mentioned most frequently and I have searched other sites for reviews and still haven't come to a clear idea which one or if there is another vendor to consider.

I almost pulled the trigger on the G2 until I ran across a lot of complaints compared to the 1st gen style. The bt didn't seem to have some of the features the g2 did but the cost is lower and seems well made.

I used to brew up until about 10 years ago and am now excited to get back into it. Did a few ag brews just before giving it up and would like to go to BIAB from what I read here and elsewhere.

I desperately need some knowledgeable thoughts on this soon as I would like to brew something before Christmas.

Just a quick update. As I mentioned above I purchased the fermenter just a few days ago and have since received emails pointing out that one of my purchases actually came with the unit and wanted to make sure I wanted another one which I didn't.

In my reply to them I took the opportunity to ask them about the insulator covering as I was considering ordering one. Again they pointed out that the unit comes with one.

So far I am impressed with their service but their website seems a bit clumsy to me for some reason.

Thanks for the website. Don't know why I didn't come across this with all the research I have been doing. The kettles look great. Not sure of the pro's & con's for horizontal vs vertical couplers. Are there any?

the pro is that you can do a small batch (5g) and still have use of your thermometer. Really thats about it. I think the con would you that you need to make sure the thermometer you use can stand up to the heat being right next to the flame now.

I suspected as much. Thanks for the input. I think I might get the Spike unit. If I don't pull the trigger very soon I will be without my first HB that I have had in a long, long time.

it would be a nice Christmas present!

Back