Input on this Honey Malt Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Looking for some input on this pale ale I'm throwing together, Im going for non bitter, but hopefuly some nice flavored chinook hops that I grew and dried at home. how do you thing the honey malt will affecct this beer?

11lbs 2 row
8. oz Honey
8. oz cara pils
1-2 oz chinook hops(at 15 min)
safeale us-05

5 gal 4.9 abv

Assuming you do mean honey malt and not actually honey, 8 oz should give you a touch of sweetness. You could also sub in some crystal for the carapils to add some caramel and still get head the retention benefit. You could also adjust the color with darker crystal if you want. Add the chinook later on the boil to get the flavor without too much bitterness. Mash at 154-156F to keep some residual sweetness. I'm not sure if it's still considered a pale ale with low IBUs but it will still be beer.

Yes honey malt and not actual honey, I didn't know low ibu's meant non pale ale. and I am looking for some sweetness so I'll try to hit 154, I ussually like 148- 152, but I'll try the 154.

Ill also try crystal next time I already have the carapils

Not sure it would even hit 5 SRMs. And an American pale has 30-45 IBU's.

But they are just numbers... I sometimes just make stuff that doesn't conform or doesn't have a style.

You could also add a pound of honey at flameout.

For my honey wheat beers I generally use 1/2 lb of honey malt and 2+ lbs of honey at flameout. Mmmmm!

Back