One BIG lesson I learned after my first batch... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > One BIG lesson I learned after my first batch...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Thirdeye
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 207


Its your first batch. You're so excited. With an air of superiority, you tell all your friends, "So, Im brewing my own beer now. Yeah, got the first batch in the fermenter right now". Friend says, "Sweet bro! You'll have to let me try a sample when its ready". You idiotically reply, "Right on bro. I'll bring you a few bottles.."

Sound familiar? Well, you have this conversation with, oh 3 or 4 people and guess what? YOU'VE GIVEN AWAY ALMOST HALF YOUR BREW!!!

Dont let this happen to you! Do yourself a favor and KEEP IT A SECRET!!




 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
Soulive
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,278
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


That's when you update your friends with "this batch isn't too good, I'll let you know when I have one that is"...


__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Thirdeye
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
That's when you update your friends with "this batch isn't too good, I'll let you know when I have one that is"...
Genius.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Beerthoven
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Cary, NC
Posts: 2,176
Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Its your first batch. You're so excited. With an air of superiority, you tell all your friends, "So, Im brewing my own beer now. Yeah, got the first batch in the fermenter right now". Friend says, "Sweet bro! You'll have to let me try a sample when its ready". You idiotically reply, "Right on bro. I'll bring you a few bottles when its ready."

Sound familiar? Well, you have this conversation with, oh 3 or 4 people and guess what? YOU'VE GIVEN AWAY ALMOST HALF YOUR BREW!!!

Dont let this happen to you! Do yourself a favor and KEEP IT A SECRET!!
Within a year you'll have homebrew stacked to the ceiling and throwing parties to get rid of it just so you can brew more.

Its a great hobby!

__________________

Primary/Secondary: #132 American Wheat
Kegged: #130 American Pale Ale, #131 Stone IPA clone
Planned: London ESB, West Coast IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:00 PM   #5
Soulive
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,278
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
Within a year you'll have homebrew stacked to the ceiling and throwing parties to get rid of it just so you can brew more.

Its a great hobby!

I agree. I'm at the point where I look for reasons to brew. I invite people to hit my taps so I can refill them with something new. Good times...
__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
In a house
Posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
Within a year you'll have homebrew stacked to the ceiling
I just CANNOT foresee this happening at my house...
__________________
"I never met a beer I didn't drink." ~Norm Peterson from Cheers

Primary: Kitty Hawk Porter
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kitty Hawk Porter, SNPA Clone
Kegged: Blackberry Stout
Drinking: Kitty Hawk Porter, Blackberry Stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
eriktlupus
 
eriktlupus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Cereal City, USA
Posts: 2,618
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] [email protected]@rd
I just CANNOT foresee this happening at my house...
then you need to brew more often !
__________________
primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS


join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
splat
 
splat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 157
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


So far its not happening at my house either....Well, half true...A ton of people show up with coors light, bud light, and miller...Then they drink a keg of my dead guy ale in one night and leave there beer....So Ive got krap beer stacked to the ceiling
__________________
Primary- Dead guy clone 10gallons
Secondary-Ambition Amber Ale
Secondary-
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Thirdeye
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat
So far its not happening at my house either....Well, half true...A ton of people show up with coors light, bud light, and miller...Then they drink a keg of my dead guy ale in one night and leave there beer....So Ive got krap beer stacked to the ceiling
Give it to the dog, then keep the bottles. Everyone wins.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #10
splat
 
splat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 157
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdeye
Give it to the dog, then keep the bottles. Everyone wins.
Good idea...too bad you cant cap BMC bottles...


__________________
Primary- Dead guy clone 10gallons
Secondary-Ambition Amber Ale
Secondary-
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New lesson learned meatman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 12-31-2007 03:54 PM
Lesson Learned ranch General Techniques 3 11-10-2007 07:18 AM
Lesson learned..........again. Brewer3401 Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-14-2007 08:43 AM
Lesson learned Ryanh1801 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-18-2007 03:54 PM


Forum Jump