Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grain Mill Attachment on Kitchenaid

Old 01-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
Alembic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grain Mill Attachment on Kitchenaid

I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience using the grain mill attachment on Kithenaid Mixers to crush your grains? If so, was it successful? I am thinking of doing some partial grain batches and since I already have a Kitchenaid I thought just getting the attachment might be the most efficient way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I don't have any firsthand experience, but I've heard that a Corona mill does a comparable job for a fraction of the cost. Really, once you get into that price range you're better off looking at true barley mills IMO.

Old 01-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembic
I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience using the grain mill attachment on Kithenaid Mixers to crush your grains? If so, was it successful? I am thinking of doing some partial grain batches and since I already have a Kitchenaid I thought just getting the attachment might be the most efficient way to go.
I've been wondering that myself. I've seen comments on a couple of other boards to the effect that it's really a little small for doing all grain batches, and it's a little pricey if all you're using it for is steeping grains or mini-mashes. I trashed one Kitchen Aid mixer by running it too long making pasta, so I've decided personally that the grain attachment would be the one attachment for my Kitchen Aid that I could do without.
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Alembic
Recipes 

thanks for the comments. I didn't price the attachment before I posted the thread thinking it only cost $50 - 60. Whoa! I didn't know they were over $100.
Looks like the Corona model hand cranked is the way to go. As always, this forum guides me the way.