Brewers Best Cider House Select Premium Cider Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
Going to start a new cider tomorrow, and I needed some yeast. So, Off to the LHBS I went. I was considering Nottingham or S-04, but when I got there, they were out of the Notty. At that point i noticed a "new" yeast that they just got in.

Anyone have experience with this yeast?

Brewers Best Cider House Select Premium Cider Yeast

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Cider House Select yeast is a high ester-producing strain, creating exceptional flavor. Trace nutrition has been included in this sachet to ensure the best possible cider quality through good healthy yeast. Our active dried yeast is suitable for all types of ciders and is able to ferment under various conditions. The capable fermentation temperature range is 54 - 82 degrees, however for optimal performance the recommended fermentation temperature should be between 60 - 70 degrees and maintained there for best results. To prevent extended lag times and risk of bacterial contamination be sure that the juice temperature is above 60 degrees prior to pitchig the yeast.

Usage Directions: Sprinkle contents directly on up to 23 L (6 US Gal) of juice. Ferment at 18-24 degrees C (60-70 degrees F) for best results.

Storage Recommendations: Store in the fridge.

bb-chs-64206.jpg

I just started two 5 gal. batches. Got it from Amazon for a good price. Not sure where it comes from or who grows it. But it took off quick but not fast, foamed for two days, still bubbling away. Smells happy.

I haven't tried it but I was just thinking about starting a batch. Which LHBS did you find that stocked at?

Sunset Hydroponics in Greece NY. Their Victor location across from the mall might have it as well. Cost was $3.49 + tax.

Sunset Hydroponics & Home Brewing
40 Cobblestone Court Dr
Victor NY 14564
585-223-3410

Store Locations

So far so good. Started a new batch with this yeast at 2 PM, and by 6 I have bubbles in the airlock.

I have two batches of this rolling. One in primary and one two weeks into secondary. I was curious, picked it up for 3 bucks a packet.

I did a test batch of this along side Nottingham, s04, and s05.

Cider house and s05 were done in 5 days, starting 1.056, finished around 1.002-1.004.

Cider house had zero mess, no krausen or whatever that orange goop is from s04 and Nottingham, yeast was always at the bottom and had a steady stream of tiny bubbles the whole ferment. No overflow and no blowoff tube needed.

Sampled all 4 on day 5 and this was the best tasting cider I've ever made. S05 was a very close second... With the other two a tad yeasty with a few more days to go. Lots of Apple flavor and surprisingly it was VERY tasty right out of the fermenter before back sweetening. (normally I like it really sweet)

I just finished 15 gallons of cider using this yeast and while I'm waiting for my keg equipment to arrive, I've Sampled some and experimented with some "warm" spiced cider and so far every sample has been delicious.

Fermented at 60-62 degrees for the test batch, and 58-60 for the 15 gallon batch. I also added yeast nutrient even though it said it was included in the package.

Also, I tried a fellow brewers coder made from the cider house kit and it was also very delicious. I'm a total noob but I highly recommend it.

It left a very off aroma for me, perhaps I messed up sanitation somewhere but that doesn't happen often. I forgot my 2nd staggered nutrient on that batch so maybe that added to the off aroma. It did clear out super quick.

I am in the process of my first cider making venture as well and my LHBS gave me the same yeast. I am working on 5 gallons of pasteurized cider and when pitched straight into mix per directions at S.G of 1.060, I had a bubbling cauldron of CO2 within hours. I've never seen my bottle bubble the way it was on this batch. Having said that it peetered out after about 4-5 days and was getting no more bubbling in the tap. The next gravity reading was 1.020 and stayed that way. I had to repitch with some 1122 to dry and get 'er going and drop slightly lower. It's in secondary now and hoping to bottle it soon. Maybe this is the norm for this yeast? It starts off vigorously but then fizzles out just as fast. I too added yeast nutrient as I also added some local wild honey.

I used a starter and added to 5 gal. unfiltered unpasteurized juice with sugar S. G. 1.070 on 11/12. Next day going strong looked like a bubble bath. On 11/20 still have airlock activity every 1-2 sec. and bubbles in he juice. Gonna take a reading and rack into secondary then try another experiment on the lees. See if it's good for two batches without washing the yeast.

Started a batch on Sunday 11/16 @ 2 PM. By 6 PM there was airlock activity. Today Thursday 11/20 @ 9 AM, almost all airlock activity has stopped. I will check with a hydrometer later.

I have a question regarding your gravity test. How long did you wait between pulling a sample from the fermenter, and using the hydrometer? If there is even a remote possibility there may be bubbles in your cider, I suggest you pull a sample, use the hydrometer, then pull the hydrometer out for 2 or 3 hours, and then re-hydro the sample. It is very possible enough bubbles are clinging to the hydro to throw the reading 0.020 too high. I learned this from personal experience, wondering why wasn't fermentation finished by (X) time? It was, but it took me a couple of days to figure it out for myself.

Does anyone have a simple description of what they used in their batches with this yeast? Fresh cider juice or store-bought apple juice?

I have a question regarding your gravity test. How long did you wait between pulling a sample from the fermenter, and using the hydrometer? If there is even a remote possibility there may be bubbles in your cider, I suggest you pull a sample, use the hydrometer, then pull the hydrometer out for 2 or 3 hours, and then re-hydro the sample. It is very possible enough bubbles are clinging to the hydro to throw the reading 0.020 too high. I learned this from personal experience, wondering why wasn't fermentation finished by (X) time? It was, but it took me a couple of days to figure it out for myself.

Spin the hydrometer, problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used fresh pressed local cider. 1.062 S.G. I added 3 cups of sugar to 5 gal. 1.070 S.G. Ten days it's finally done bubbling. Gonna rack, check S.G. and reuse the yeast tomorrow.

UpstateMike, if spinning the hydrometer was all it took, I wouldn't have taken the time to type out my lengthy post. Let's get technical here: as long as there are bubbles on the top of the sample flask as shown in the video, there are still bubbles in the sample flask. My problem with your video link is, some noob is going to take that as the end all, be all, way to use a hydrometer and wonder why their F.G. is still too high a week or two later. I adamantly disagree with the "spin video" as being a "guaranteed" way to knock the bubbles off of a misreading hydrometer.

Disagree all you want, it works. It may not be 100% accurate, but it will get you within a point. Otherwise, according to you, the only 2 true readings you can get is with starting gravity before you add the yeast, and final gravity when all the sugar is gone and the bubbles have stopped.

I would hope we want an accurate as possible reading as we can get. Which point size are you talking about: .010 vs. 0.20, one point or, .001 vs. .002, one point? If you are meaning a 1.011 vs. a 1.012, one point, you're right, that amount of difference is negligible. But, if you are speaking a 1.022 vs. a 1.012 reading, wouldn't that be enough for most people to think that fermentation isn't done, especially a new brewer?

I really wasn't trying to be a d!ck. I personally had one instance where i spun the hydrometer multiple times, gently tapped the side of the tube, and got a reading that was way too high for the amount of time that had passed, but I figured no two batches are the same, blah, blah, blah. Three days later I got the exact same reading- it was either 12 or 14 points too high, still. It didn't taste 12 or 14 points too high, so I dried the hydro and forgot about it. Two or three hours later, I dropped the hydro back in, and it was, like I said, 12 or 14 points different ( lower). I was quite amazed actually, I never would have thought there was that much carbonation hiding in the sample, hence the reason for this discussion.

I just racked. Started 1.070 on 11/11. Was 1.000 on 11/23. No off flavors or odors. Still some sweetness, a little tart and a lot of Apple flavor left.

Pitched the bottom of the carboy on a gal. of FAJC juice plus frozen peaches to see what it does.

Pitched the bottom of the carboy on a gal. of FAJC juice plus frozen peaches to see what it does.

OMG! I pitched the yeast at 11am and left the house at noon. Got home at 5 PM and it's already bubbling once per minute. No added sugar!

Just an FYI i have also re used the yeast cake/yeast slurry from this Yeast and it works great.
I got 3 batches of cider from the one pack of yeast. I probably could have stored the yeast and re used again but i ended up dumping it.

each time it performed identical, fermented down to .995

I'm amazed. The yeast is a winner and it's not from one of the big three labs. Who is packaging the yeast?

Update: Pitched about three weeks ago OG 1.062. FG 1.001. Fermenting temp was 60-66 degrees Fahrenheit. Juice was Mott's and despite that had a fair amount of apple flavor left. I am thus far pleased. Lady friend wanted something different so I racked to a secondary on top of 3 lbs of pasteurizes blueberries. Will update in a week or so.

Is Brewer's Best not the packager?

I would be surprised if a kit company was growing and packaging their own yeast. I suspect a lab does it for them. If that's true I wonder what strain yeast it is.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I would be surprised if a kit company was growing and packaging their own yeast. I suspect a lab does it for them. If that's true I wonder what strain yeast it is.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeah, you're probably right...thinking about it they do use big name yeasts in their beer kits.

My peach Apple experiment with second hand yeast slowed after 5 days. Put it in a clear jug to get a better look at what happens next.

Sunset Hydroponics in Greece NY. Their Victor location across from the mall might have it as well. Cost was $3.49 + tax.

Store Locations

For anyone else in the Rochester NY area looking to try this yeast, the Henrietta location of Sunset Hydroponics and Homebrewing didn't have it. Same with the Victor location. They both said something vague about a back order status.

The Greece location did still have it in stock when I finally got to that side of town on 11/27/2014.

You guys know of a good store for yeast varieties out Batavia or Geneseo way? The LHBS in Arcade is quite lacking in beer and cider supplies as they are more geared towards wine and wine supplies. Not looking to travel much further than Batavia or Geneseo. Possibly to Springville/Olean way.

You guys know of a good store for yeast varieties out Batavia or Geneseo way? The LHBS in Arcade is quite lacking in beer and cider supplies as they are more geared towards wine and wine supplies. Not looking to travel much further than Batavia or Geneseo. Possibly to Springville/Olean way.
Angotti Beverage in Batavia is part of Beers Of The World in Henrietta. They do have brewing supplies and yeast, however i would call ahead and see if they have what you are looking for before making the trip. They can get stuff from their Henrietta store, but it usually takes a day or two.

If you would be willing to make the trip to Henrietta, I would recommend Sunset Hydroponics and Home Brewing. They always have a great inventory of yeast, and they keep it all in a fridge.

Angotti Beverage
61 Jackson St
Batavia, NY 14020
(585) 343-7335

Sunset Hydroponics & Home Brewing
133 Balta Dr
Rochester, NY 14623
(585) 475-0011

Thanks for the tips Mike!

I will have to check out Angotti. Didn't know they were part of BotW. Have heard a lot about them. I guess they even carry Woodchuck's dry hopped cider which I love but can't find in anything but single bottles anywhere else.

Don't make it to Rochester often but next time we go to Marketplace or out for dinner I'll have to check out Sunset.

My peach-Apple experiment is done. I think I started a gal. on 11/23 with second hand yeast. I racked off the sediment and fruit on 11/27. Today it was clear as a wine. F. G. was 1.004 and tasted great. I primed with a little honey and bottled. I love this yeast!

Latest posts

Back