Wild Berry Apple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adolphus79

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mitchell's Wild Berry Apple Wine

1/2 pound Raspberries
1/2 pound Blueberries
1/4 pound Strawberries
1 gallon Apple Juice (store bought 100% juice or fresh pressed cider)
1 Campden tablet
Pectic Enzyme
1 packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Press berries and combine with apple juice. Pour must into primary and add campden and pectic enzyme. Let sit 24 hours. After 24 hours, pitch yeast, and let ferment on pulp for 2 weeks. Rack and ferment an additional month. Rack again and ferment until clear (another 1-2 months). Rack again and bulk age, or bottle.

My OG was 1.084, and as of the bulk aging rack, SG had dropped to 0.998. The primary fermentation quantity actually comes out to about 1.25-1.5 gallons due to 1 full gallon of apple juice as well as the berry juice. When I tasted it at the bulk aging rack, it was still quite tart, and the alcohol flavor was strong. I wound up bulk aging this for about 9 months (bottled approx. 1 year after started). It came out better than I had expected. The taste had mellowed quite a bit after the bulk aging. The final product was sweet, with a little bit of bitterness, and a FG of 0.996 (11.5% ABV).

Back