Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Great day and a crappy day at the same time

Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #11
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I have heard of this technique, and have heard of it being successful for others.

I've tried it twice and got no results. Both hard drives appeared to be completely toast, only a clean room could've fixed them. Both hard drives went in the trash, ultimately. In retrospect, I wish I could've afforded data recovery at the time. I hate losing files.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
I have heard of this technique, and have heard of it being successful for others.

I've tried it twice and got no results. Both hard drives appeared to be completely toast, only a clean room could've fixed them. Both hard drives went in the trash, ultimately. In retrospect, I wish I could've afforded data recovery at the time. I hate losing files.
I have no money for that right now either. Hell, I have no money for a new drive and OS for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Your OS is on your factory reinstall CD, you shouldn't have to buy a new OS unless your PC is a custom-build or second-hand or something..... I hear ya, though, that s*** always happens to me at the worst time!!

Sorry again for your troubles, dude!

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
merc
Recipes 

The freezing method should be a last resort. Put the drive in a plastic bag first, to minimize moisture in the drive. But by the time you recover the files and turn the computer off, the drive will be done.

If you don't have an OS cd, most online computer component dealers have OEM copies you can buy if you are buying a hardware component (hard drive). It'd be about $151 shipped for 160GB drive (Retail) and Windows XP Home disc with one liscence. If you do have a OS disc the drive is about $60. (All from NEWEGG.com)

Just to get up and running, you can download Ubuntu (linux OS, free) and burn it to CD. Put the CD into the CD Rom and boot the computer, run the LIVE CD. This will give you an OS that can open up the files if the drive is accessable at all, without actually installing the OS to the drive. It may be able to read the files and allow you to burn them off onto discs. If this sounds like something you want to try, PM me and I'll send you my phone # and can help walk you through it.