Flanders Brown or red recipe anyone? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Flanders Brown or red recipe anyone?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #1
Ryanh1801
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Posts: 2,676
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts



Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for one? Would love something similar to Goudenband or Rodenbach.


Thanks...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2004
Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


Told ya earlier but: Gilda


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
landhoney
 
landhoney's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
West Palm, FL
Posts: 1,349
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Here's Jamil Z's: http://www.beerdujour.com/Recipes/Ja...rs_Red_Ale.htm (his podcast for this beer is good btw)

Here's a couple other sample recipes/info:
http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/t...=3&tpg=1&add=1

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/t...=2&tpg=1&add=1

I am beggining to agree with the second post in the first BB thread above, you're getting the character from the wild yeast/bacteria and not the base beer so much(so it is less important than other 'normal' beers). I think you just need a malty brown/red beer mashed fairly high for the base beer to add the bugs to.
__________________
"Did you ever kick a woman in the midsection while she was wearing a whalebone corset? I nearly broke my great toe. I never had such a painful experience." -Egbert Souse(W.C.Fields)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Ryanh1801
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Posts: 2,676
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
Here's Jamil Z's: http://www.beerdujour.com/Recipes/Ja...rs_Red_Ale.htm (his podcast for this beer is good btw)

Here's a couple other sample recipes/info:
http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/t...=3&tpg=1&add=1

http://www.babblebelt.com/newboard/t...=2&tpg=1&add=1

I am beggining to agree with the second post in the first BB thread above, you're getting the character from the wild yeast/bacteria and not the base beer so much(so it is less important than other 'normal' beers). I think you just need a malty brown/red beer mashed fairly high for the base beer to add the bugs to.
Thanks for the links, After I posted this I realized I ordered the wrong yeast. But I did see that the one I ordered is the one Brewtopia used in Gilda. So im hoping it will work.



Im gonna do the one dollar barrel thing for this brew. Should I do this from the get go or wait a while before using it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanh1801
Thanks for the links, After I posted this I realized I ordered the wrong yeast. But I did see that the one I ordered is the one Brewtopia used in Gilda. So im hoping it will work.
It will definitely work. I used the Wyeast 3278 for Gilda because the Roselare was not available at the time and Arlen Harris at LaConner Brewing used the Lambic Blend in the LaConner Red which was a phenominal beer.

Arlen Harris is now head of the Washington Beer Commission and is no longer brewing. Too bad since he is one of the best brewers I've ever known.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Ryanh1801
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Posts: 2,676
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Sweet thanks for the info.. I can not wait to get this beer going.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
Madtown Brew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 258
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'd definitely suggest listening to the Jamil show podcast on this style. A lot of good technique info there.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/arc...il01-29-07.mp3
__________________
Fermenting:
rye farmhouse ale
Oktoberfest
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Ryanh1801
 
Ryanh1801's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Addison,TX
Posts: 2,676
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Yeah I have a 5 hour drive this weekend to get back home, so I will be listing to that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
bikegeek
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Hanover, PA
Posts: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Im gonna do the one dollar barrel thing for this brew. Should I do this from the get go or wait a while before using it.
I've got one going in the basement right now.



My recipe was a variation of Jamil's, linked above, but I followed his fermentation advice and started it with a fairly neutral yeast, then racked and added bugs around 1.020. I don't think you can go with the oak stopper from the start. Some CO2 vented through the wood grain, but I had problems with the pressure pushing the stopper out of the carboy until the primary yeast pooped out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #10
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sause's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2004
Menomonee Falls WI
Posts: 1,866
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


My Rodenbach clone just started to ferment after a four day wait. A nice white krausen has formed and it's bubbling like crazy right now.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brewer
Had some Bud Light analyzed once. They told me my dog had diabetes... And was pregnant

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin drez77 Lambic & Wild Brewing 7 11-03-2009 07:08 PM
Bottling Oud Bruin/Flanders Brown??? dirt55 Bottling/Kegging 1 09-30-2009 02:29 AM
Need a good flanders red recipe Brandon O Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-09-2009 05:50 PM
Flanders Red Recipe mgo737 Extract Brewing 2 12-29-2008 04:34 PM
English Brown or Nut Brown recipe Proofman Recipes/Ingredients 6 03-21-2007 12:08 AM


Forum Jump