Brewers tend to be cooks - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Brewers tend to be cooks

Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
jeff967
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Swartz,La.

I do know my way around the kitchen and the pit. thanks to time spent with my mother and grandmothers.
now I think that thanks to HBT and you guys here, I am turning into a fair brewer.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
talleymonster

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

I've always enjoyed cooking, since I was a little kid. 'nuff said.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

I enjoy cooking, but it is just about impossible to cook for one without filling a freezer or two or six with "leftovers". Making 40 servings of beer at once makes sense, but 40 servings of lasagna?

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2007
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I enjoy cooking, but it is just about impossible to cook for one without filling a freezer or two or six with "leftovers". Making 40 servings of beer at once makes sense, but 40 servings of lasagna?
Absolutely! I do that all the time, quite intentionally. Slice and wrap up servings of that lasagna and pop them in the freezer. Next time you work late and come home starving but too tired to cook, a home cooked meal is just a few minutes away.

I understand that modern lifestyles often mean that you don't have time to cook fresh food every night. Still, if people took this approach instead of drive-thru junk food or fat/sodium laden frozen meals, our country would be a lot thinner and a lot healthier.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruscar
I've noticed, as I grow like a mold in this place, that quite a few of you.....OK, mainly EdWort , tend to enjoy cooking. I, for one, was, in a previous decade, a classically trained chef. Still love to cook, LOVE to BBQ, just hate doing it as a jawb...
The same things that I enjoy about cooking draw me to brewing. One of the things that helped move me lightyears down the track was learning what the various things in a brew contribute. Not following someone else's recipe, knowing how to come up with your own.

Sez you?
I love to cook, BBQ and I've been a baker for 20+ years. The reason I like brewing is that it gives me the ability to do what I can no longer do at work , create my own recipes.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Bruscar
Eat, drink, repeat

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Covina, CA

Oh, and, uh, Blind? Encino ain't too far from Covina so iffin ya figger you gots too much lasagna, PM me!
: Red Tail clone - back to basics time
Up next: Red's Irish cousin
Then: Who knows

New motto (T'anks, Newguy!)
"for the love of all that is good and holy...NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER!!"

Old 01-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #17
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Nuff said....

Tonights nosh.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #18
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

My wife asked me to put the ham in the oven after she left the house. I had to go and ask the kids if you put water in the roaster with the ham. Apparently you do. I was too embarrassed to ask if the mesh that is covering the ham is supposed to come off. It looked pretty imbedded into the skin of the ham so I left it on. Nobody yelled at me so I guess it's supposed to stay on. In my own defense, there were no heating instructions on the package like there are on most other meals I make.

I can barbecue but SWMBO makes the marinade and the barbecue sauce. I think I'm pathetic.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #19
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Huh?12243425235

Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

Short answer, Pseudo. This brewer isn't a chef.