Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Best Way of Removing Hot Break Before transferring to primary

Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Vorsicht709
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Best Way of Removing Hot Break Before transferring to primary

Tomorrow im starting my first batch with a boil. Im wondering what is the best way to remove the hot break and hops before I add my wort to my primary fermenter.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Brewmando
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I simply strain the cooled wort thru a stainless steel (sanitized!) strainer into the fermenter.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
splat

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

+1.....Works great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keg #1- Edworts Pale Ale
Keg #2- Empty :(
Keg #3- Empty :(
Keg #4- Empty
Bottled- Canadian Draft
Bottled- Honey Wheat Ale
Bottled- Octoberfest lager
Next up- Another coopers Cervesa kit for the ladies.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Vorsicht709
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jeez thats a whole lot easier than some ways ive heard of online

Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

I ferment in carboys, so pouring through a strainer doesn't work straight to the carboy. This is how I get around it.

During brew day, I fill my bottling bucket with sanitizer water. I soak all my post-boil stuff in there during the entire process (including a strainer).

While chilling the wort, I fill a different pot (the one I use for heating sparge water) with the water from the bottling bucket and transfer everything to it. Dump the remaining sanitized water on your bushes, plants, etc. (living in Texas, I try to reuse / conserve water where I can and haven't noticed any ill effects on the bushes, trees, or grass).

Place the strainer over the bottling bucket and pour the chilled wort through it catching the hot-break. Pour the wort from the bucket to the carboy through a big funnel. This acts as my oxygenation step and trub filter at once.

That was a really long description of a simple process.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing