Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dilemma- to brew or not to brew...
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Steiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Davis (outside Sacramento), CA
Posts: 191
Default Dilemma- to brew or not to brew...

Here's the situation: I've already posted in another thread that I'll be leaving town and country and will not return for 5 months. I gathered up my recipes for bulk aging, yet the time has crept up on me and now I don't know how I'll make it. I'm leaving in less than a week (exactly 6 days from today) and am not sure if that will be enough time to ferment completely and absolutely. I'm racking to secondaries, yet I've always liked to give my beer 2 weeks in the primary which I don't have. So...I'm planning on brewing today but may not. My concern...what to do if I'm in a jam and it's not ready to rack? Is it not a good idea to leave in a primary for that long (autolysis, etc)? I could have someone else (non-brewer) work the autosiphon and transfer to a secondary. Then again, I could just wait and do it when I get back. Just wanted some feedback. Oh ya, I'm planning on brewing Cheese's Caramel Cream Ale, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, and maybe an apfelwine (time permitting). I also wanted to brew the 888 Russian Imperial Stout, but doesn't look like there's time for that. Avg temp here: hi 63 low 45


__________________
Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101
Steiner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
sirsloop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: South River, NJ
Posts: 2,592
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If you use Nottinghams and pitch two packets you'll be able to rack to secondary in 5 days. The RIS will have to wait I think as will the apfelwein...or live with a partial yeast cake sitting in the bottom for 5 months. You're right at the limit...probably should have made this post a week ago I'd go for the mead tho...


__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~___//_ ____________________________~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~_/ [][]| | /```\/```\/```\/```\/```\ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~
sirsloop is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
FatDuc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FatDuc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Leland, NC
Posts: 1,624
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Just looking at your signature it would appear you're not hurtin' for brew at the moment, so personally I'd hold off. Why go to the trouble, and then sweat the results the whole time you're gone?

Start a mead or cider that will hold fine for that amount of time if you really need to, or even a cheap wine kit.

Just my ¢2,
Matt
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Every brewer here would tuck in his junk to have this opportunity.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets
FatDuc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
gruntingfrog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 345
Default

To brew or not to brew. That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of empty kegs,
or to take arms against a mash tun of grain, and by infusing brew them.

But seriously...
If you have a friend that can follow instructions and understands the importance of sanitation, I say brew and let your friend rack to secondary in two weeks.
__________________

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
gruntingfrog is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,329
Liked 697 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

No to the 888.

Pitch a huge amount of yeast in any other recipe and you should be able to rack off to 2ndary in 3-4 days.

Go for it.


BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New brew schedule... or how to brew with toddlers! (input/advice sought!) Zymurgrafi All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 56 10-22-2013 05:22 PM
Price to build the Brew Magic Brew system! vanwolfhausen Equipment/Sanitation 14 11-24-2010 06:01 PM
1st Brew Dilemma Hogw1ld Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-27-2009 12:25 AM
Morning brew session dilemma: to partake or not to partake? cweston General Techniques 31 05-29-2007 03:02 PM
Brew Shop closed. Best yeast to buy for hard apple cider brew? britishbloke Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 01-10-2007 03:48 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS