Anybody buy spices online? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Anybody buy spices online?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
BrianP
 
BrianP's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Dexter, MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,151
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


+1 on Penzeys. I've been a satisfied customer for years.
__________________
Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
PseudoChef
 
PseudoChef's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Posts: 3,406
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts


I second what orfy said, though. I find most of my spices in international markets around town for a fraction of the price. Penzey's can get a touch pricey.

Also, you say you're going through them quick, but always try to buy whole/unground when you can and grind at the time of cooking. I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
DUCCCC
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Posts: 1,619
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts


Another vote of confidence for Penzy's. I just got a Hot & Spicy pack from there for Christmas and I've already used about 5 different ones out of the 8 that are in the pack. All of 'em have been good so far, but I'll hold out for an "excellent" rating until I try their Vindaloo mix.

Matt

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:47 AM   #15
Sluggo
 
Sluggo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Chicago Burbs
Posts: 109

And yet another +1 for Penzey's.

There's a store 4 miles from me that I am drawn to every time I go near it. In the store (at least the one by me) they have large jars of all the spices they sell sitting next to the ones for sale. You can open them up and take a good snort, but I don't recommend that on some of the curries and one of the rubs that has horseradish powder in it. I can't remember the name, but I had a sneezing fit for 5 minutes and burning sinuses for quite a while after.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #16
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Posts: 1,676
Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts


Did a little price comparison between the spice house and penzeys, on 1 pound of identical spices (I checked 4 different ones) the spice house was cheaper on 3 from $0.20 to $2.50 and one Penzeys was 25 cents less.
It seems like they have almost identical products, even the glassware they carry.
Strange they are both located so close to each other and in the midwest, most importers are located on the coasts.

Anyone have some favorites from either place? I love the Ancho and chipotle chilli peppers and the tellicherry peppercorns

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #17
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Anyone have some favorites from either place? I love the Ancho and chipotle chilli peppers and the tellicherry peppercorns
I think it was the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon that I got there a while back, amazing stuff. It has a distinct sweetness that you would swear they add sugar to it.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I second what orfy said, though. I find most of my spices in international markets around town for a fraction of the price. Penzey's can get a touch pricey.

Also, you say you're going through them quick, but always try to buy whole/unground when you can and grind at the time of cooking. I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.
What is funny is, my friends family when they visit back to India from Boston bring tons of bulk spices because the prices are much better. That one always confused me . But yeah I couldn't imagine what wierd stuff I'd have in my storage if I were traveling to different places and some places you can get great prices. Price is the single reason I don't buy from Penzey's for the reason that we use a lot of spices all the time in our household. If I had a store close by I'd probably be in there often though looking for off-the-wall stuff or specials.

I also second the motion to keep spices airtight, whole, in the dark and cool. For whichever you can manage to do so. I only buy a few things ground because it is either too difficult to do so at home (ground Cinnamon is a good example) or I use tons of it at a time, like ground dry Mustard to make prepared Mustard.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #19
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Posts: 1,930
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
I can't have chili now without fresh ground chile powder.
FWIW, I make my own chili powder. That is another reason why I am looking at a spice shop. I am lucky to get anything but Anaheim Chili's in the grocery stores here. I am going to give Penzy's a shot, just because they are local here. Granted I wouldn't call them 'close' but it just so happens they are pretty close to a microbrewery here, so, kill two birds with one stone if you will

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #20
Sluggo
 
Sluggo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Chicago Burbs
Posts: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Anyone have some favorites from either place? I love the Ancho and chipotle chilli peppers and the tellicherry peppercorns
I'm in total agreement on the Tellicherry peppercorns. Another of my favorites is the Aleppo pepper...kind of like a salty red pepper flake with more flavor. I also like the Chicago Steak seasoning, it's great for grilled steaks when I'm too lazy to do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
I think it was the Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cinnamon that I got there a while back, amazing stuff. It has a distinct sweetness that you would swear they add sugar to it.
Ever since my wife found that cinnamon it's all she uses to cook with. It's some good stuff.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spices joeyuwp Cider Forum 4 12-30-2012 09:25 PM
Best way to add spices Peregris Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-02-2009 06:05 PM
Spices Duffey Recipes/Ingredients 9 11-12-2007 06:14 PM
Help me with spices. ericd General Techniques 2 11-02-2007 09:58 PM
What spices and how much???? pa-in-utah Recipes/Ingredients 9 09-12-2007 04:34 PM


Forum Jump