I hate HomeDepot!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > I hate HomeDepot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma
Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts

Ok, I got in trouble earlier from my brother and roommates because I was bitching and they didn't want to hear it, and they never have to go to a hardware store because they couldn't change their underwear. I thought I would vent here and I will probably be using this thread often. So..... I go to the big HD in my small little town and they either don't have exactly what I am looking for, can't help me, or outright give me sh!tty advice every time I go there. I chalk it up to them either being in college and not caring or being ancient and not caring.

This being said, I go in today to buy a water heater element for my newest project because they have run off our wonderful but small hardware shops and that is the only place to go. I ask the guy where they are and he instantly asks me before we even start heading that way what I need it for. Well, I am trying to heat some water in a container other than a water heater. Why? Uhh, because I want to. Oh, well do you need 110V or 240V. 110, sorry can't help you and he turns around. So I ask again where they are located, and he asks me why. So, I tell him about my project and how I have read and read and I want a 240 but plan on running it 110. He still doesn't tell me where they are located and says once more, I told you it won't work. Now, I am pissed at this old man but trying to maintain my respectful speech. Can you please tell me where they are so I can look at them, sure they are right over here and he points and walks off. Dammit, I say and he turns around with a look of surprise. I could use your help finding everything else I need please, I understand how much of a burden I am, but I am planning on buying a lot of stuff and I thought you guys like to sell the stuff you have. He huffs and agrees to help, only he isn't going to be any more help. I found the panel nut and everything I needed by myself with him standing there not looking and finally told him his help would no longer be needed and could he please get me a manager. Why do you need a manager, he asks. Well, so I don't have to keep asking questions and can find and buy my stuff and get the hell out of here. Ok, and he walks off. Wow, so I find some other odds and ends I needed and head for the counter. I am paying and a guy walks up and ask if I needed any help. So I look at him and say, well I did about 30 minutes ago but I am cool now. I just couldn't find everything I am looking for and need to go. He says ok, and turns around to walk off. So, I ask will a 240V water heating element run on 110? He turns and says "smartly" no. So I say, well that is what the other guy said too, only I have read that it just won't run the same, but will work. He looks at me and says it won't even turn on, that 240 is for 240 and 110 is for 110. Wow, frickin morons. So, I am paying for my stuff and the girl ask for my phone number. I don't have a phone. Well I need a number to complete your transaction. For cash I ask? Yes. So, I said maybe we need the manager over here again, because I am paying you cash and you are either going to take it or I am leaving, and amazingly she hands me change and I walk out. WTF???????????????? Oh, and sorry for not typing in all the "", but you get the picture. I hate these wienises, and hope they get exactly what they deserve.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

Wow, that's something else. The element won't 'turn on'? It's a giant resistor. It will 'turn on' with a car battery on DC. Once you'd told them you were doing something out of the ordinary, they should have thrown their biases out the window and at the very least showed you where the merchandise was located. They clearly don't know enough to be giving competant advice to tinker types.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
WortMonger

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma

Wait, I thought it would work, just not as good as if it were 240?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba

Absolutely. It's ohms law. power is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. So a 3000 watt element on 240 volts is about 20 ohms. The same element at 120 volts is 720 watts. A LOT less.

P = E^2 / R

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Crappy service aside, they were probably covering their a$$es. If they tell you "go ahead hook the wrong one up" and whatever you're working on catches fire(not that it will) a lawyer could argue that HD gave you poor advice and they're responsible for the damages.

Either way they sound like douchebags

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
WortMonger

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma

But it will work. I have a 5500W 240V I plan on running at 110V.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
WortMonger

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.n.budz
Crappy service aside, they were probably covering their a$$es. If they tell you "go ahead hook the wrong one up" and whatever you're working on catches fire(not that it will) a lawyer could argue that HD gave you poor advice and they're responsible for the damages.

Either way they sound like douchebags
I will agree with the cover your a$$ comment, but I require reasons not absolute answers that I have read and researched about countering. It is like someone saying because. I hate that, because why?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts

It will, just at a quarter of the rating.

for example say there is 20 ohms of resistance across the thing.

240v/20 ohms = 12 amps. 12 amps*240v=2,880 Watts of power
120v/20 ohms = 6 amps. 6 amps*120v=720 Watts of power

Old 01-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortmonger
But it will work. I have a 5500W 240V I plan on running at 110V.
You'll get about 1150 Watts out of it.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
WortMonger

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Edmond, OK, Oklahoma

That is exactly what I thought. I told him it didn't matter how fast it heated I just needed to maintain a temperature and he told me it wouln't even turn on. I have been doing a lot of WVO research and I was going to go with a low density setup for a kettle at one time (thank God I changed my mind on that). I tried to ask my question with the knowledge that I understood about it having less wattage and he still said it wouldn't work.