Where and what to drink in Chicago!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbg

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers.

Im going to Chicago this December, and wonder where to get some local/american beer, and what to drink?!
Im from Denmark, and I normal drink Belgian-style beers, so Im a bit blank on the American beer scene. So guys, pleas help me out here :)

regards,
Jan

My wife and I recently visited Chicago and enjoyed all of these. They are all in the Chicago Metro area. Do tasters at all, you'll likely find several you enjoy. Just be patient with the traffic and bring quarters for the toll roads.

Revolution Chicago
Half Acre Chicago
Lagunitas Chicago
Three Floyds Muenster, In (suburb)
Two Brothers Warrenton, Il (suburb)
Solemn Oath Naperville, Il (suburb)

I'm heading down the weekend of the 25th and would also like to try to hit one or two places.

Looking for a cool place that isn't crowded. I will likely be going alone, as my brewery tour time is probably coinciding with my wife's convention panel times. I will be staying at an airport hotel.

Add HopLeaf to your list, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

+1 I just went to Chicago this summer to visit my sister, and the Hopleaf is within walking distance from her house! I will definitely be goin back there my next visit! They also specialize in Belgian beer but have tons of American stuff too perfect for the OP!

Great beer selection & the food is good too! It was even mentioned in that Brewdogs episode in Chicago.

It's super expensive but if you can afford it go to the lounge at the top of the John Hancock Building & have a drink while you look out at Chicago from the 96th floor it's great! I didn't go to the Sears Tower or whatever it's called now but from what I hear John Hancock is better & you can have a drink!

Oh & if you're a foodie check out Eataly it's a grocery store downtown partially owned by Mario Batali & Joe Bastianich from Master Chef they have like 5 restaurants and a bar in there not to mention tons of cool food you don't see every day & you can drink while you shop!

My wife and I recently visited Chicago and enjoyed all of these. They are all in the Chicago Metro area. Do tasters at all, you'll likely find several you enjoy. Just be patient with the traffic and bring quarters for the toll roads.

Revolution Chicago
Half Acre Chicago
Lagunitas Chicago
Three Floyds Muenster, In (suburb)
Two Brothers Warrenton, Il (suburb)
Solemn Oath Naperville, Il (suburb)

These are all great breweries although I would forgo Two Brothers and find some Off Color instead

Just saw Hofbrauhaus is a short walk from our hotel. I'll probably go check it out and hope they ahve authenitc German beers at least and some German foods to try. Plus they have musik every day.

Revolution Brewery is great! Highly recommended! Hopleaf is very good too.

Not too far from Revolution is a bar called Kingston Mines (Orange awnings out front). They don't have a great beer selection, the food isn't very good, and the place is kinda dirty... but it's AMAZING!!! Best music in town if you enjoy rock/blues!!! Every weekend! I recommend it to all Chicago visitors. IMO, it's true Chicago. Plus, they're open until 5am or something crazy like that...

thanks a lot for the hints, cant wait to get there and check em out!

Another +1 to the Hopleaf, go for dinner and drink, stay for more drinks. The beer list is awesome, and the food is great too. I suggest the mussels boiled in beer with hose made bread..... its great. Also, good beer store on the corner across the street for your night cap!

Revolution is awesome. Kind of a hipster bar but the beer is top notch. Anti hero ipa is one of my favorite ipa's.

OP- I'm headed to Chicago in December also and was going to post this question when I saw it already had been asked. :)

You're not going to Midwest by chance, are you?

OP- I'm headed to Chicago in December also and was going to post this question when I saw it already had been asked. :)

You're not going to Midwest by chance, are you?

Im going to RSNA at McCormic Center. And gald that my post can help you aswell!

Chicago has plenty to offer in terms of craft beer. You can't go wrong going to most local establishments and asking what local beers they have. The list below are the first places I take my out of town craft beer drinking friends:

1. Revolution Taproom (on Kedzie Ave) they have a brewpub which is great but can be very crowded which is why I tend to steer clear and head to the taproom. The taproom is at their production facility and the bartenders there are amazingly knowledgeable and friendly. Check their website for their hours and try to get there early for one of their free tours, it's well worth it.

2. Local Option - neighborhood beer bar in Lincoln Park. Awesome selection of barrel aged beers and sours. Again, friendly bartenders, great selection of brews

3. Hopleaf

4. Half Acre

I hope you Enjoy your stay in Chicago! Let me know if you need any more suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are a lot of great places in Chicago that have already been mentioned. Not knowing where you will be staying or if you will have a car, there are a couple of other places worth checking out.

Penrose in Geneva, IL (especially if you like Belgians)
Pollyanna in Lemont, IL (very new, but havent had a bad beer there yet)
Urban Legend in Westmont, IL (a bit over a year old - very solid)

I would definitely stop in at the Goose Island brewpub in Lincoln Park. They have stuff that never makes it beyond that location.

Latest posts

Back