Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to leave behind "sediment" after boil
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How to leave behind "sediment" after boil

So I did my first AG last night, and I got frustrated trying to strain out the hops (pellet), cold break, hot break, etc. that I just poured it all in. My question is what is the best way to not transfer this to the fermenter? My boil pot is 35 quarts and has a drain spout installed about 1.5 inches from the bottom. It worked great until I hit the level of the spout with all the sediment, and then it kind of stopped. Advice, please!

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BCB Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Guinness Clone, Watermelon wheat, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Cottage House Saison, Cream of Three Crops, BM Helles Belles, Punk'toberfest, Santa Baby Holiday Ale, Kaiser Alt
Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

strain it through a paint filter bag. you can get em at lowes,hd etc,, bout $2 for 2 in the 1 gallon size or $3 for a fiver

i use the 1 gal size for hop bags in the boil just tie em with a bread twistie w the paper removed

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency
Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another suggestion is to whirlpool the kettle, let it sit for 20 minutes, then siphon (with a strainer as suggested). This causes the trub to form a cone-shaped pile in the center of the pot. If you don't disturb it much, your racking will go smoother.

Others will suggest investing in a kettle with a built-in spigot or adding one to your existing kettle. I haven't added one to my 30 qt aluminum pot since the wall is so thin I worry if it will last.

I use the strainer over my autosiphon (and I use leaf hops) and I still have troubles getting a good siphon going sometimes.

Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA
Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Use whole hops and a false bottom.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a bucket net that fits on the top of the bucket and catches everything as I pour the wort into the primary...available at your local HBS.
HB Bill
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote for a Hopstopper. (or a home made equivalent) Yes, I realize it may have a problem with a heavy schedule of all pellet hops. I always try to use at least a portion, usually the aroma hops, as whole leaf or plug hops. This provides a nice filter bed to help strain out the pellets. There is also some evidence that leaf/plugs give more aroma content than pellitized hops.
Primary: , Boddington's Clone, Mirror Pond w/Marris Otter
Bottled: Fullers ESB Clone
Kegged: Mirror Pond Clone
Drinking: BM's Kona Fire Rock, Dead Guy Clone, Alaskan Amber Alt Clone, Firestone DBA Clone, Magnum/Crystal IPA
Next up: Burton IPA
Old 12-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #9

I have a Bazooka tube in my kettle - the T-shaped one, sunggled up nice and tight to the bottom. It filters hops and break out really nicely, but it doesn't like pellet hops much. For my next batch, I'm going to experiment with a nylon mesh bag to try to contain at least some of the hop goop.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
...My Junk is Ugly...
Liked 745 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 268

That's why I won't install a spigot on my keggle.

I used to use a paint strainer wrapped around my chiller and siphon from inside the pool.

Now I'm more inclined to whirlpool, let sit 30 minutes and then siphon around the gunk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chiller_Filter_5.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	3828

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirlpool.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	3829