Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > FAQ: Aluminum Pots for Boil Kettles?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #341
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHathcock View Post
Just ruined an aluminum kettle with oxy clean...... lesson learned read first! Correction read everything first....
Unless there are holes in it, I can't see it being "ruined". If it is just very ozidized and black inside, that is not ruined IMHO.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #342
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's probably not ruined. The oxiclean removed the oxide layer. Re-boil and you should be good to go.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #343
TheRooster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Great FAQ, flyguy!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #344
jaemus
Recipes 

Sounds like FlyGuy was simply trying to do a good thing...
Also sounds like abracadabra was having to be the fly in the ointment, no pun intended
Thanks FlyGuy for doing what I set out to find, having a question answered

Old 03-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #345
Meat6895
Recipes 

I'm sure it's fine. But even with caked on and burnt sugar I can take the top rack out of my dishwasher and it fits in there. I had a boil over my first solo boil and it was a mess but it still looked new out of my dishwasher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 07-22-2014, 01:44 PM   #346
NewBrewer_B
Recipes 

Anybody read the "Toxicology of Metals" by Luis W. Chang Ph D? There is an entire chapter (23) on Alzheimer's Disease by D.R. McLachlan, P.E. Fraser, E. Jaikaran, and W.J. Lukiw. A good read. People can say Aluminum is fine all they want, but I'm not taking the chance. I thought it was an interesting sentence in the book "The long-accepted commercial use of aluminum and its compounds has led to considerable resistance to investigating the possible role of aluminum in human disease." The conclusion on Page 395 also states that there is "robust evidence" that aluminum is involved in AD.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #347
p40whk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Question, I had a house fire and my aluminum pots were very close to the fire, they are not deformed yet they are a bit scorched. Since Aluminum is porous, it would have absorbed a ton of soot and I'm wondering if this will impart off flavors to my beer?

Insurance is paying to replace what got ruined so before I decide to trash these pots I'd like to know if they're no good for brewing.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #348
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
Insurance is paying to replace what got ruined so before I decide to trash these pots I'd like to know if they're no good for brewing.
Warhawk, will they pay to replace the pots? If they are, they usually let you keep the old ones. You could then brew a test batch and educate the rest of us.... Just sayin.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #349
p40whk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I'm probably going to replace them as I really don't want to have those flavors in my beer. Not to mention that they got pretty hot by the fire then doused with that chemical foam the fire department used to put it out. Not sure if it's safe to use or not but I could boil something in it to find out.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #350
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewer_B View Post
Anybody read the "Toxicology of Metals" by Luis W. Chang Ph D? There is an entire chapter (23) on Alzheimer's Disease by D.R. McLachlan, P.E. Fraser, E. Jaikaran, and W.J. Lukiw. A good read. People can say Aluminum is fine all they want, but I'm not taking the chance. I thought it was an interesting sentence in the book "The long-accepted commercial use of aluminum and its compounds has led to considerable resistance to investigating the possible role of aluminum in human disease." The conclusion on Page 395 also states that there is "robust evidence" that aluminum is involved in AD.
yup its been mentioned here many times...
Its just like the old cellular phones and the "silver" tooth filling they used (and still use) that are actually made of heavy metals including mercury.... this stuff will SLOWLY be phased out as to not cause panic and billions in lawsuits.

And While they are certainly not the best choice (may I remind you that Drinking alcohol isnt exactly the healthiest thing for your body either) in most cases it wont cause any serious harm...(depending on who you talk to and how much exposure is involved).
the sad fact is until someone provides inconclusive proof and shows this to the RIGHT people nothing will be done either way. and maybe the threat just isnt that real?