BM23-c price range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye_Brewer

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Bev-Air BM23c from CL. According to the seller, the kegerator was a wedding gift from his now ex-wife. So I was able to get it for $250 with 3 #5 co2 tanks. It was made in 1972(i think), but is in surprisingly good condition. According to the seller, the refrigeration unit is entirely original and he has never experienced issues with it. I plugged it in and it can keep 10gal of beer at 40 +/- 2 degrees -- Maybe if i clean the condenser coil the temp will drop a few degrees. There was a little rust on the inside so i sanded it down and sprayed the interior walls with cold galvanizing spray. On the outside, there are a few scratches, a patch of rust, and the drip tray cover is missing. Im considering sanding down the entire exterior brown paint and painting it a semi-gloss black. My question is, did I get a fair deal? And if I decided to sell it, what price range can i expect (after I repaint, polish all the stainless, clean out the and order a drip tray cover)? Also, would repainting it add to the value?

Attached are pictures of the kegerator in its current state.. with 10 gallons of cream ale layering :mug:

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

Last edited:
You have decent deal there! The only thing is to check that the Co2 tanks are within certification limits. If not, take to local gas vendor, and the should exchange them with no questions asked. Then you have 3 tanks within certification that can be exchanged anywhere you like. Painting it would increase the value, IMO, but not significantly.

The unit looks to have a slide drawer on top for access to frosty glasses. How that works; I don't know. Also, make sure the hose from the back gets stuffed into the tower to decrease foamy ours. I will say that I have an older beverage air DD-22 that was built in 1967, and it runs like a champ. However, when I first plugged mine in; it did the same as yours (only cooled to 39-ish with two 5 gallon cornies in it and with the compressor kicking on & off). I removed the back access cover, and discovered the condenser coli fan was not operating. While it was plugged in, I gave the fan a tap with a long and insulated screwdriver. Viola! The fan started turning and the unit has been cooling like normal ever since.

I would start off cleaning the coils as you suggested and checking that the fan is operational. This lil' guy should hold 3 ball lock corny's without moving the Co2 tank. I've attached a pic of mine for reference. It was 5 weeks of refurbishing, but well worth it.

image.jpg

Hmmmm.....

It was built in 72, and it's just a fancy 'frigerator....

If it meets your needs, clean it up to your specs and use it, and worry not what someone else might pay for it.

Ya' gotta' remember, it's just an "old whore, in a new dress".....;)

Not like a classic car restoration or something, but if you like doing those things to it, have at it, and you'll have a fine lookin' kegerator!

Thanks for the advice Topher, and thats a fine looking DD22 you got there, great job restoring it!

I opened up the back access and tried to get as much of the built up dust from off the condenser coil and made sure the fan is running. I just put the buckets back in so we'll see if that does much. The co2 tanks are all due for inspection; I hope I can exchange them for free like you said.

And StealthCruiser, I think I'm going to sell this one soon. I got a decent deal, so I rushed to get it before considering my needs. I plan on doing some restoration work and flipping it so that I can build a keezer. The bm23c just doesn't have as much space as I would like and I would like more precise temp control for lagering. Plus, this old kegerator isn't nearly as energy efficient as a new deep freeze.

Back