Windows 10 - Finally some sanity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love Win7. Win8 UI is a serious joke, and after making the mistake of buying one of my kids a Win8 laptop, I decided to stick with Win7 forever, or until Microsoft fixed their UI.

And so I'm happy to say that it looks like they are doing just that. (Oh, BTW, how could it have taken this long to add normal Copy/Paste functionality to the command windows?).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/windows-10-review

Release date probably end of next year. Windows 9 was skipped entirely, not sure why.

Re: Win9, maybe this was it:

win9.jpg

Why does it seem like every-other Windows OS is complete garbage?

Windows 9x worked well enough; Windows 2000/NT was a completely unnecessary iteration. I liked XP just fine; Vista was $#!t. Windows 7 was awesome. Windows 8 freaking blows.

Hopefully Windows 10 will be decent (where the hell is Windows 9, by the way?), but I think I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until it stops being supported.

Edit: interesting about the windows 9/9x thing, I hadn't thought of that.

Just bought a PC with Win8 and was leery. Had it a couple days and I just don't see what all the fuss was about. However I have recently realized that what I have is in fact Win8.1 and it turns out the .1 is a major update bringing it back in line with the Win7 experience. Boot to desktop, readily availabel power button, taskbar on start screen, x to close apps, etc...

I have yet to not find anything I had in Win7 that I do not have with Win8.1. But I have found a few new things that Win7 did not have. So far, I really like it. But, I also do like the Start screen with live tiles.

ME was fine; it was just a slightly improved 98SE. XP was fine - it was a slightly improved 2000. Vista was fine; vendor drivers just sucked at launch. 7 is a minor, minor update to Vista. Honestly, 7 could've been a service pack for Vista.

8 had a kludgey UI, trying to merge touch and key/mouse input. 8.1 was a step in the right direction, but still a pretty minor set of changes. 10, which really should be considered 8.2, further refines the interface.

Microsoft did some blind customer testing that showed users really don't mind 8.1 - they just already have poisoned perception of Windows 8 from all the loud negative opinions out there. All calling it "Windows 10" does is erase the psychological poisoning that users have with the name Windows 8.

Enjoy your Windows 10 (essentially 8.2) (essentially 7.3)

ME was fine; it was just a slightly improved 98SE. XP was fine - it was a slightly improved 2000. Vista was fine; vendor drivers just sucked at launch. 7 is a minor, minor update to Vista. Honestly, 7 could've been a service pack for Vista.

8 had a kludgey UI, trying to merge touch and key/mouse input. 8.1 was a step in the right direction, but still a pretty minor set of changes. 10, which really should be considered 8.2, further refines the interface.

Microsoft did some blind customer testing that showed users really don't mind 8.1 - they just already have poisoned perception of Windows 8 from all the loud negative opinions out there. All calling it "Windows 10" does is erase the psychological poisoning that users have with the name Windows 8.

This. I've spent quite a lot of time poking around under the hood. The file system is nearly identical to Win7. Everything is where it is expected to be. The UI has changed. But, with Win8.1 it hasn't changed much (if that is what you want). Widgets are now APPS. (could also be viewed as more bloatware tho') but there are a lot of new features taht are cool. Drive pooling has me excited. We'll see if it lives up to my expectation.

My only gripe is of a handful of apps that do not seem to want to go away. Uninstalled teh wildtangent crap but teh metro app tiles remain. If I click to uninstall it takes me to control panel uninstall. Argh.

And, I have no need for the skydrive. I don't use the cloud for anything. I am tempted to remove skydrive from my machine but I am learning that it is embedded deep in the registry.

This is mostly true, however, the USER interface is paramount to public opinion. How you do things is as important to the vast majority of users than how it gets done.

Along with the driver support debacle, Vista also suffered from an interface that was less user friendly than both XP and Win7.

My only gripe with 8 is the interface. It can be 'corrected' with a $5 interface add-on called Start8 (There are other options, but from what I've seen this one is the best).

It looks like Microsoft is finally deciding to give users what they want, rather than what they think users ought to have. My personal feeling is that they HAVE to offer a different interface. The interface is what the user sees, and they can't sell their OS unless the user SEES something different, otherwise people will not see the point in upgrading.

Their biggest mistake was not offering an alternate desktop experience for non-touchscreen users. It would have been SOOO easy to do (as evinced by the $5 add-on product) and it could have been as easy for a user to implement as putting a check box in the display options page.

Oh well, Life goes on.

Windows 8 plus ClassicShell (free) works for me. Start menu of my choice; avoid seeing start screen; disabled charms menu; disabled hot corners; huge amount of customization of start menu.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I have to use Windows in a VM for work to use certain software and have 8.1. Without Start8 plug, I would be ripping my hair out with the UI of Win 8. It turns my machine back into a Win 7 UI

Tried Linux once. Ubuntu specifically. It brought a laptop that would no longer run XP back to life. But it would not run a lot of the applications I was using.

That was years ago. Things may have changed.

BeerSmith and BrewTarget both run on Linux. What more could you need? :p

Brew on :mug:

I don't like change.

I don't appreciate them renaming and hiding stuff that I used to know where to find.

Media Center? What's going on there.. I can't use a cable card without MC.

Also how much of a backdoor is the newer OSes gonna be? I picture some guy being able to click a button and see exactly what I see, or pull up an archive of everything I've ever seen, or simply just browse my stuff at will.

And so I'm happy to say that it looks like they are doing just that. (Oh, BTW, how could it have taken this long to add normal Copy/Paste functionality to the command windows?).

Not sure what the fuss is about with that... I use copy+paste ALL the time in windows (7+8) command prompt : left mouse button to select, enter to copy, and right mouse button to paste. And it'll go over pages. And can paste miles long.

MC

I don't like change.

I don't appreciate them renaming and hiding stuff that I used to know where to find.

Media Center? What's going on there.. I can't use a cable card without MC.

Also how much of a backdoor is the newer OSes gonna be? I picture some guy being able to click a button and see exactly what I see, or pull up an archive of everything I've ever seen, or simply just browse my stuff at will.

Media Center is still available. It's just no longer provided with the OS for free.

You mean just like any other OS?

You mean just like any other OS?

Can you point to any credible reports of backdoors in Linux? I've seen enough smoke around Windows to believe there really is a fire. Not seen anything on Linux, but would like to know if there is.

I've been using the Tech Preview for a few days.
I like it so far. Looks and feels like a cross between Win7 , 8.1 and Office
As far as Linux or Mac I can't use either at work because the software that we must use only works on Windows.
Couple of screen shots if I can get them to post.

Win 10.jpg

Untitledwin 10 1.jpg

Can you point to any credible reports of backdoors in Linux? I've seen enough smoke around Windows to believe there really is a fire. Not seen anything on Linux, but would like to know if there is.

Any OS with the capability for remote access has the potential for an open back door so long as someone tech savvy enough jiggles the lock long enough.

Not sure what the fuss is about with that... I use copy+paste ALL the time in windows (7+8) command prompt : left mouse button to select, enter to copy, and right mouse button to paste. And it'll go over pages. And can paste miles long.

MC

Yea, I guess it's not that bad. I just want to select the same way that every other Win app works.

Any OS with the capability for remote access has the potential for an open back door so long as someone tech savvy enough jiggles the lock long enough.

If the remote access methods are documented and configurable, then a savvy user can disable them. In Linux the user has pretty much complete control, if they are the admin. Windows has stuff hidden and/or inaccessible by the user, which therefore cannot be disabled. There have been too many cases of corp cooperation with NSA, etc. for me to have complete faith in the security of any corporate OS product. And if NSA, etc. can get to a back door, so can hackers.

Not too familiar with inner workings of any of them, but I do know that certain engineering software will not work on Win8. Namely Bentley products. They don't load properly, they don't work properly, total crash and burn. We have to use Win7 Pro until Bentley comes up with code that works with I guess now the Win10.
And no, it doesn't work on Linux either. The database component within that software was born of DOS, and the adapted it to Windows, and over the years it has gotten clumsier and clumsier..... but they are ready to roll out or are in process of rolling out a major update which will virtually eliminate the need for the 'add on' database component.

Heartbleed? Shellshock?

Perhaps not deliberate backdoors, but there are issues.

I still run Linux, and generally think open-source leads to higher-quality and more secure OS than closed. But Linux has had a couple high-visibility security issues in the last 6 months...

Not too familiar with inner workings of any of them, but I do know that certain engineering software will not work on Win8. Namely Bentley products. They don't load properly, they don't work properly, total crash and burn. We have to use Win7 Pro until Bentley comes up with code that works with I guess now the Win10.
And no, it doesn't work on Linux either. The database component within that software was born of DOS, and the adapted it to Windows, and over the years it has gotten clumsier and clumsier..... but they are ready to roll out or are in process of rolling out a major update which will virtually eliminate the need for the 'add on' database component.

Can it run in a Win7 VM under Linux?

I could not possibly disagree with you more. My first computer was Windows98 machine. Had no problems, but upgraded two years later and bought a machine with ME. Absolute TRAIN WRECK. Upgraded that machine to XP as soon as it became available, and was amazed at how much better the machine ran. Bought a Vista machine the first day you could get it pre-installed on a machine, and started running into problems almost immediately. It was a resource HOG, and was draining all of the available RAM on my laptop, despite the machine exceeding software specs. Ended up actually buying an older XP machine from work, and installing Ubuntu on the laptop to make it usable. When the drive controller crashed on that one, upgraded to a Win7 desktop which I LOVE, and purchased a Surface Pro tablet with Windows 8 on it (with a free upgrade to 8.1).

I will say, I have no complaints with Windows 8. The UI is a little different, but especially on a tablet, the tile interface is actually kind of nice. And switching between the tile interface and the traditional desktop isn't that hard - especially if you use the keyboard shortcuts.

It's been awhile, but IIRC, Win ME was a nightmare sidetrack when MS was trying to split their user base between Corporate (NT Server/User) and Home computing (ME), ostensibly to maximize revenues. 2000 evolved to standardize file systems (NTFS) and use NT-like dynamic driver loading. ME was a nightmare to support from a system integrator's standpoint. Redmond treated ME like a red-headed step-child because they had their hands full trying to gain market share in the corporate world with Windows NT. NT User/Win 2000 evolved to XP and Win 9.x and ME ended up on the scrap heap, eliminating their idiotic two desktop strategy. Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be and I didn't double check any of this.

I have Win 8 on a desktop, laptop, tablet and phone, and I am very satisfied with the way they all communicate. They transfer documents and photos via skydrive. Microsoft hears the complaints and is constantly improving the system.

Why does it seem like every-other Windows OS is complete garbage?

Windows 9x worked well enough; Windows 2000/NT was a completely unnecessary iteration. I liked XP just fine; Vista was $#!t. Windows 7 was awesome. Windows 8 freaking blows.

Hopefully Windows 10 will be decent (where the hell is Windows 9, by the way?), but I think I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until it stops being supported.

Edit: interesting about the windows 9/9x thing, I hadn't thought of that.

I agree with you on the windows 7 thing, but 98 was problematic. Win 2000 on the other hand was extremely stable.

Very true. I'm a Systems Administrator in a shop where we run Windows, Macs and Linux in addition to our mainframe. We get security updates and patches for all of them. My advice - for desktop systems of any type (Windows, Mac or Linux) - turn on automatic updates and let it do what it needs to do. For servers - schedule a recurring monthly update time and stick to it. This is all in addition to the usual firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-etc software and hardware you also need to have.

I've been using the Tech Preview for a few days.
I like it so far. Looks and feels like a cross between Win7 , 8.1 and Office
As far as Linux or Mac I can't use either at work because the software that we must use only works on Windows.
Couple of screen shots if I can get them to post.

I know its a work machine, but one of the things that irked me about 8.x versions is they took DVD playing capability out of the inbuilt media player because optical video is dying/dead, streaming is everything. Did they stand behind this decision with 10? With 8 apparently you have to pay for 8 ultimate and then pay extra for WMC as well and still find out that you should just use VLC instead.

Can it run in a Win7 VM under Linux?

Not that I am aware. Like I said, not too familiar with background runnings, but whenever you try and do anything that is non-windows based such as running third party software through MicroStation without first running it through Bentley, it freaks out. Now, that could be as simple as them being all proprietary, but I don't know for sure. I'm guessing (big time) that they alter the code of whatever third party is needing integrated to fit their own programming.
But, then again, I'm one of those annoying users that knows just about enough of how this stuff works to really muck it up..... :D

I know its a work machine, but one of the things that irked me about 8.x versions is they took DVD playing capability out of the inbuilt media player because optical video is dying/dead, streaming is everything. Did they stand behind this decision with 10? With 8 apparently you have to pay for 8 ultimate and then pay extra for WMC as well and still find out that you should just use VLC instead.

While I do agree that taking DVD playback out is rediculous, this did not bother me a single bit. VLC is a much better player hands down.

If the remote access methods are documented and configurable, then a savvy user can disable them. In Linux the user has pretty much complete control, if they are the admin. Windows has stuff hidden and/or inaccessible by the user, which therefore cannot be disabled. There have been too many cases of corp cooperation with NSA, etc. for me to have complete faith in the security of any corporate OS product. And if NSA, etc. can get to a back door, so can hackers.

Like wise if remote access methods are documented and configurable, even just a somewhat savvy hacker can reenable them so long as said system is network connected.

The only real security afforded to Linux, and Mac for that matter, is lack of numbers. I guarantee you that if enough people got onboard with Linux for it to be the majority OS, then it would have just as many security issues as MS and therefore measures would be taken to conceal the code to make it harder to hack.

Back