Ed Wort's Haus Ale...could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Ed Wort's Haus Ale...could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Jayfro21
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 262
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason
__________________
Primary 1: SN Celebration Ale Clone
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BCB Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Guinness Clone, Watermelon wheat, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Cottage House Saison, Cream of Three Crops, BM Helles Belles, Punk'toberfest, Santa Baby Holiday Ale, Kaiser Alt
Up next: BCB Rye IPA, Coconut porter, Bluebird bitter clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
FSR402
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
FSR402's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jenison, MI
Posts: 2,826
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfro21
I finished mine last night around 8PM (1st AG), and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F. I had no airlock activity by the time I went to bed at around 12 (which I expected), but I still have no airlock activity now. The temp is right around 68 F, and I do notice a small krausen through my fermentation bucket at the top. My question is: could I have missed the fermentation from 12 AM - 11 AM, since I know that it ferments fast? My seal seems great on the bucket, so I don't think it is that. Just wondering how fast others that have brewed the Haus Ale fermented out? Thanks!

Jason
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew.
__________________
TWO FISTED BREWING CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Jayfro21
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 262
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FSR402
Did you miss it? No I doubt it. Is your bucket not sealed good? Yup..
I have one bucket that "seems" like it's tight but I NEVER see any bubbles in the lock and they all ferment out. So don't worry about it.
Give it a day and then if you REALLY need to know, crack the lid open enough to have a look in there. Other then that, leave it alone and enjoy a brew.
Yeah, the thing is this is only the 3rd brew I have done in this bucket, and the previous two I have had plenty of airlock activity. If it is anything, it is probably the hole the stopper goes into that is not sealing, I'll have to check that. Thanks!

Jason
__________________
Primary 1: SN Celebration Ale Clone
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BCB Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Guinness Clone, Watermelon wheat, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Cottage House Saison, Cream of Three Crops, BM Helles Belles, Punk'toberfest, Santa Baby Holiday Ale, Kaiser Alt
Up next: BCB Rye IPA, Coconut porter, Bluebird bitter clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #4
Jayfro21
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 262
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


So for some reason it took 24 hours to start, but now it is going like mad...not really sure why there was a slight krausen at the top earlier? Anyways, it is kicking a@@ right now, and we will see how it goes! Thanks for the input!

Jason
__________________
Primary 1: SN Celebration Ale Clone
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BCB Haus Pale Ale
Bottled: Guinness Clone, Watermelon wheat, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Cottage House Saison, Cream of Three Crops, BM Helles Belles, Punk'toberfest, Santa Baby Holiday Ale, Kaiser Alt
Up next: BCB Rye IPA, Coconut porter, Bluebird bitter clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
Dynachrome
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,084
Liked 74 Times on 67 Posts


I used Nottinghams in my EW clone too. Once it gets gong it really makes some foam.
__________________
I drink therefore I am.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Omegagodly
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Ohio
Posts: 49

i actually just finished fermenting a batch of that and now its resting happily carbonating in bottles. my fermentation seemed slightly slow going at first as well, but i was not around it to check on it as much as i would have since its at my father in laws house. it did bubble though after a little bit and definitely finished at FG. i just bottled yesterday and im really excited to try this brew. cheers to edwort for creating this recipe, the grav samples were tasty!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
rtt121
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Indian Mills, NJ
Posts: 292
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
and pitched the Nottingham at around 78F.
This seems high to me.. have you pitched this high with Notty before and got clean results?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Omegagodly
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Ohio
Posts: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt121 View Post
This seems high to me.. have you pitched this high with Notty before and got clean results?
i pitched my notty into my batch of haus pale ale when it was around low-mid 80's. i wast proud of it, but it took forever to get my temps down, and i had to get to bed, so i did it and the yeasties had no problem working away, i've bottled that batch and it tasted great before i did.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Missed final volume - reboil after fermentation? anth All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 11-26-2013 01:44 AM
What happened? I missed fermentation.. krj Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-22-2009 07:41 PM
Missed fermentation????? Landfill Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 11-05-2008 10:26 PM
Ed Wort's Haus Milk Shake BeehiveBrewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 08-27-2008 05:18 PM
1st AG, ED Wort's Haus Pale Ale jeepmarine71 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 05-10-2008 02:18 PM


Forum Jump