"Brewis Interuptus" - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "Brewis Interuptus"

Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Western PA

I know it is going to happen sooner or later. I am into AG now and am a member of the local fire department. We have around 370 alarms a year so my AG brew day is eventually going to be interupted. At what point in the procedure may there be problems:
Mash - Can I be away for an hour or more, come back and reheat it by adding hot water and just continue? Or is there something else that I should do?
Sparge - Again, can I just add hot water to bring the temp up and continue or should I just drain the first sparge and do another one?
Boil - Stop the boil for a couple hours, cover the pot and continue when I get back?
Cooling - Can I just cover the pot and let it cool to room temp?

Which procedure will give me the most problems that would effect the outcome of the process?
Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Mashing can be left for many hours no need to reheat if you use an insulated mash tun.

Batch sparging, again no biggy. just make sure you have sparge water ready so if you've drained and get the call then dump the water on and go.

Boiling if it's interupted for an hour or so no real big deal.

Cooling is best done in <30 minutes but if it's interupted then there is nothing you can do.

Do you not get any days when not on call?

Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Western PA

Thanks
Am a member of a volunteer outfit so no days off. Of course, I don't have to respond and some do not, but, personally, I can't do that.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
zstewart123

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Saint Amant LA

Tbone, as a fellow former firefighter and current paramedic you know as well as I do that everyone needs a day off. I find that brewing is a great release of tension and stress. Take a day or two for yourself and turn the radio off. If you are truely needed for an emergency where your specific services are needed you know they have your cell and home phone number. Remember what comes before all else, FIrefighter safety. That includes sanity. Be safe Brother.

"Life is like a mustard burp, momentarily tangy and then forgotten in the air "

Primary : German Pilsner, Bitburger clone
Secondary : empty
Keg 1 : Star Spangled Lager
Keg 2 : Dim Wit
Keg 3 : Honey Brown Lager
Bottled:Edworts Apfelwein

Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 522 Times on 420 Posts

Wow, that is a LOT of alarms for a volunteer department. My old man was a volunteer firefighter for many, many years. I'll be able to hum the alarm code that you to ring out in the middle of the night (doo-do, do, do, do, d-do) until the day I die. Props to you!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

May 2005
Castleton NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

tbone, as a life long volunteer firefighter(25+ yrs) I commend you for your dedication. However, you will find that there are some calls you can opt out of, I'm thinking wires down, pump outs etc. Not to deminish the importance of those type of calls, but if you are in the middle of a brew day, the rest of the guys should cut you some slack, more so if you bring some HB to station to share( but not durring duty times of course)

Old 12-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
DUCCCC
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

It might cost you a few brews, but you need an on-call brew assistant to take over if you get called out.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Western PA

Thanks for the kind words and the advice. Yes I can screen alarms when brewing but I know that eventually a "wreck with entrapment", or a "structure fire" will pull me away. An assistant would be nice. It seems that, according to orfy's post things will work out, even if I am away for awhile. Thanks again guys - great forum.
And to the other firefighters on this site - Stay safe!