forgot to add wholfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFeltimo

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale over the weekend and realized i forgot to add it,
Will it be a simple case of adding finings to the fermenter once it has finished?
Or will it still drop clear once cold crashed?

Thanks guys.
I don't usually worry about this sort of stuff but its good to know.
Dan

reassuring, thanks.
i know some people cant brew without it, and other dont care. i learnt to always use it tho, part or my schedule i guess.

Understood. I cruise these forums to gain an understanding of the concepts behind what is "usually done" so I can decide what's right for myself. I hope that the experience I shared helped you along that road as well.

I use my phone's alarm clock while brewing. My alarm with 15 minutes remaining in the boil says "Add chiller and whirlifloc." Because I tend to forget, the alarm for 13 minutes remaining says "Seriously - Add the Whirlifloc."

I forgot to add Whirlifloc to a recent small batch boil. Tempted to fuggedaboudit, but one of the reasons for my small batch was to improve clarity in an experimental beer. I had already turned the burner off, but turned it back on and threw in the appropriate amount of Whirlifloc. I brought it back to a wimpy boil for three minutes or so, hoping to at least have done a little something in the direction of better clarity. Since it was a small batch and I was boiling on my stovetop, my wort was already pretty reduced and I didn't want to lose any more to evaporation, hence the quick, wimpy boil when I knew better. Still, I was really surprised not to see any effect whatsoever from the Whirlifloc either right away or a week into primary. I'm aware that one doesn't want to add Whirlifloc too soon or risk denaturing it, but it would appear that a hard boil really is key here, as well as the recommended duration of 10 minutes in the boil.

+1 to not worrying about it. If you do have a clarity issue later, you can always fine with gelatin.

Last edited:
Back