Iodophor vs Star Sans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
Since I've been into this wonderful hobby, I've been cleaning all my equipment with Oxi Clean Free ( no perfumes, bleach, etc). To sanitize my beer equip (pot, bottles, kegs, etc) I use Iodophor and wine equip ( bottles, carboys, etc) gets Star Sans. Recently I got in a discussion with others about this. One uses Iodophor on EVERYTHING beer or wine. Another does opposite of me. So far I've not had any issues. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why bother with 2 different sanitizers? Both are effective, no-rinse, short contact time sanitizers.

Pick one :)

I've never used Iodophor, but my understanding is that StarSan has a shorter contact time and won't stain the way iodine based sanitizers can.

The big jug of StarSan I got for Christmas a couple years ago when I 1st stepped up from Mr. Beer is still going strong, so I haven't had to make a choice yet :)

Very satisfied with StarSan though... Much easier than worrying about the chlorine in the DIY beach-buffered-with-vinegar sanitizer talked about by the maker of StarSan :eek:

A couple years ago, I used iodophor for everything. I then found out how bad it was on the environment, so I made the switch to Star San. It's environmentally friendly and I think it works great. They both sanitize, so it shouldn't matter which one you use.

Star San gets my vote. :)
Iodine stains plastic equipment over time, and it smells awful. Plussssss if you haven't made a star San snake out of your keg yet, you're not living life!!

Star San snake for a keg??? I have a 4-keg kegerator (1 wine, 3 beer) and am real curious!!'

I found Starsan first. I have no reason to switch and I like the facts that it will not stain anything and will give no flavor.

I asked about metabisulphate here a while ago and it was suggested that Starsan, Iodaphor, or metabisulphate would be ok. I chose to continue to use Starsan rather than getting another sanitizer.

Star San snake for a keg??? I have a 4-keg kegerator (1 wine, 3 beer) and am real curious!!'

It's when you fill a keg with star San, and shake away until a thick foam is created, then I pour the star San out, but siphon my brew into the keg under the foam.
It pushes the foam out of the top on the keg as it's slowly filling from the bottom. If the foam is nice and thick it will keep growing like those old firework snakes. Longest for me so far is 17ft. I do it cause my 5 year old thinks it hilarious...... And I'll admit. I like it too. :)

Due to all the starsan foam I use iodophor for sanitizing kegs using a keg washer. Everything else gets starsan.

I use both. Idophor mostly comes out for bottling because Star San + Blichmann BeerGun = a rubber stopper that won't say on.

It's a 2 minute soak time. That's where Star San has an edge.

I used to use Iodaphor when I used to brew in the 90's. When I got started again about 5 years ago I found Star San and switched. No worries about staining (including my clothes) and Star San lasts longer. I keep some (mixed with distilled water) in a spray bottle so I always have some on hand. I store my aeration wand in Star San. You can't do that with Iodaphor.

I know this is a "versus" thread, but speaking from experience, pick a product and go with it. I've used both, and can't find a reason why I'd choose one over the other. They both work effectively, and an extra minute of contact time is very negligible when you're compounding sanitation time with other activities. I leave equipment sanitizing for much longer than the minimum time anyway, so it has little impact on me. Everyone's process varies, so go with what flows better for you.

That being said, I prefer Iodophor. I've used it for years, and have yet to have either a sanitation problem or see any issues with staining. To add, who cares if it stains the random bucket? It has no impact on final product. Also, I know that many of my local breweries (through first-hand experience volunteering on location) use Iodophor for day to day needs. It's a cost-saver for them.

Use what you want. They both work.

Does that factor in reusing starsan batches whereas you are more limited where the iodine solution is involved

Star San
Costs $17 per 16oz bottle*
Takes 1oz to treat 5 gallons
Each 5 gallon costs $1.0625 to treat

Iodophor
Costs $10 per 16oz bottle*
Takes 0.5oz to treat 5 gallons
Each 5 gallon costs $0.3125

Iodophor is 3.4 times cheaper than Starsan so you would have to reuse your starsan more than 3 times to get close price wise.

I'm not saying price is the most important element, but it is a factor.

*prices found at midwestsupplies.com

And did someone mention that you can also use iodophor to conduct a conversion test on the mash instead of having to buy starsan plus some iodine to do tests with?

Star San

Iodophor

Iodophor is 3.4 times cheaper than Starsan so you would have to reuse your starsan more than 3 times to get close price wise.

Our club does a group buy that includes Star San. A gallon costs $36.16 which works out to $0.2825 per five gallons diluted.

I always mix up a few gallons of iodophor on brew day and I always have a spray bottle of starsan handy. I like to use both. Most of my stuff gets put on the iodopher bucket and just soaks the whole time. If something needs a quick sanitation I just spray it with starsan. I know I could get by with just one (and sometimes I have to) but I like it this way. I used to just use bleach water and rinse everything. It worked too.

Iodopher is nice because it can stain grim I may have missed in any nooks or crannies. Starsan is nice to because it can be used as a cleaner. Starsan is acidic and is not as good for metals (I know people use it anyway.) That and the foaming is why it is not used in bigger breweries.

Use them both. Iodophor works best in an acidic environment, so there’s no reason you can’t use them together.

They have different mechanisms, so they should be complimentary.

Some might say ‘overkill’. I don’t think so. Can pathogens be too dead?

Star San

Iodophor

at a guess, i'd say I'm reusing my starsan at least thrice. It lasts me a couple of months before I mix up another gallon. I'm still on my first itty bitty 4 oz bottle after 39 batches (mostly one gallon with a handful of fives)

Since I don't have to choose just one I still use both. I prefer Star San for the no rinse convenience, and use it for bottling and fermenter sanitizing, but always keep iodophor for sanitizing sampling thiefs and other brewing equipment due to the lower price.

Just to be clear, when used at a proper dilution rate of 12.5 PPM of Iodine (1/2 oz per 5 gallons, 1/4 oz per 2 1/2 gallons), BTF Iodophor is a no rinse sanitizer product as is Star San.

True, based on the recommendation for use, but due to the fact that if used in excess it will impact flavor my personal preference is to use Star San. I have used Iodophor exclusively and have no problem with it.

Edit: This is reference to no-rinse usage.

Back