Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Recipe question
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Recipe question

Hello All!

I recently purchased about 4.5 pounds of Agave syrup with the intention of making something of a mead out of it. I don't really know a whole lot about it's taste once fermented however.

Have any of you guys ever tried just a straight up agave "mead"? Have you mixed it with honey in a mead? I'm just looking for any possible advise on a recipe. I will probably only make it a 1 or 2 gallon batch (possibly more if I'm going to mix it with honey for a mead).

I have heard that agave syrup has no real taste. True? What does it taste like once it has been fermented?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

agave nectar is what tequila is made of. If you're into that, rock n roll. Not my thing personally Honestly, the alcohol content is the only point I ever saw in tequila, and you wouldn't be able to make it that strong without distilling. Hey, experimenting is good though!

Lost Elm Brewing Co.
Stafford Springs, CT

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As far as taste goes it's it's sweet, sort of like honey in a way but more mellow, not as strong as honey.
SWMBO uses it in her coffee and she has flavored agave stick she has once in a while.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if the brew doesn't contain honey, it can't be called mead.
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've made a mead with half honey, half agave. If you have 4.5 lbs of Agave nector, you will need 4.5 lbs of mild tasting honey. Start a 3 gallon batch of mead using the honey, energizer/nutrient and only about 1.5 gallons of water, all in a 3 gallon fermentor. Once the initial fermentation is done, loosen the agave nectar with 2 quarts of very warm water, and add it to the carboy. You can give it a good stir if you want. Use a higher attenuating yeast. Mine tastes great.

the Nurse wants to know

Date Mead, Oatmeal Cookie Braggot, Fox in Sox Gruit
Hard lemonade, Cyser, Golden Plum Mead
Ginger-Orange Mead,
Agave Mead, Chocolate/Cinnamon Mead, Heather mead,
Heather Ale, Emerald Honey Kolsch, Hobgoblin clone, Terror of the Ewes Oatmeal Stout,
Kilt liftin' Wee Heavy, Soggy Doggy English Brown Ale, Saaz/Perle Mead, Cinnamon Mead, Shiraz,
Sauvignon Blanc, white merlot, Elderberry Mead, Vanilla Mead