Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To All Grain, or not to All Grain...

Old 03-09-2005, 01:51 PM   #11
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktrap74
i would like to know what book by a charlie ? is it insightful will it get me on way to all grain
Charlie's book is a pretty good read. Give's a little background to the what's and why's from extract to all-grain brewing. Not real deep. Byron Burch's book "Brewing Quality Beers" is an easy, thin book that came with my first brew kit. It covers a simple all-grain process that can get you going. A deep book on all-grain is Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer". It's for the serious homebrewer and commercial brewer on all-grain decoction, yeast, lagering, etc. I read part of it before I went all-grain, and it didn't discourage me at all. Made we want to buy lagering equipment!!!!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
hawktrap74
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default grains

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
Charlie's book is a pretty good read. Give's a little background to the what's and why's from extract to all-grain brewing. Not real deep. Byron Burch's book "Brewing Quality Beers" is an easy, thin book that came with my first brew kit. It covers a simple all-grain process that can get you going. A deep book on all-grain is Greg Noonan's "New Brewing Lager Beer". It's for the serious homebrewer and commercial brewer on all-grain decoction, yeast, lagering, etc. I read part of it before I went all-grain, and it didn't discourage me at all. Made we want to buy lagering equipment!!!!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux
sweet that is what im looking for a insightful book thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #13
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawktrap74
sweet that is what im looking for a insightful book thanks
You can also try "Brew Your Own" magazine. That's where I get just about all my info. They cover techniques, style profiles, recipes for extract/all-grain, equipment, tips, etc. It's saved me a few times! www.byo.com.

Glad to help.
DeRoux's Broux

Old 03-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i like the complete joy by charlie, but he gets on my nerves at times...

he seems to leave out some key info or is perhaps a bit tipsy when he writes, but i understand his book is like 15 years old.

another book, the brewmasters bible, don't remember the author off hand, but it's a decent book, a little thin in detail, but gives a general account of beer/all grain/ingredients. it also boasts several awesome charts concerning hops/grain characteristics/mashing schedules/beer styles and has over two hundred pages of quality reciepes, many by local microbrews, including the great lakes brewery in cleveland where i grew up.

i have read too, that a bloke named michael jackson, not the paedo, has written several good books about brewing beer, and i'm gonna check out some of those.

i'd suggest hitting the libraries first and reading the book and decide if you like it, then maybe buy it, or photocopy it at work...

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

If you want to get into creating recipes and really understand the impact of various ingredients and how to make certain styles of beer, the book Designing Great Beers is good.

It assumes you know how to brew, does not explain technique beyond where a specific method is used in a given style, but if you're interested in getting deep into recipe formulation, it's a good one.
Won't you pour me one more of that sinful Old Janx Spirit

Old 03-24-2005, 01:21 AM   #16
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Papazian's book is old ,and Designing Great Beer is more for advanced brewers. Try"How To Brew" by John Palmer. It's free online at www.howtobrew.com.
It is a good read and if you like what you are reading, you can buy at your local bookstore.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:36 PM   #17
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1master

i have read too, that a bloke named michael jackson, not the paedo, has written several good books about brewing beer, and i'm gonna check out some of those.

i'd suggest hitting the libraries first and reading the book and decide if you like it, then maybe buy it, or photocopy it at work...

t1, my wife and i will go hang out at barnes and noble bookstore, or borders books and music, and i'll grab a cup-o-joe, find a different brew book, and read for a while. if i like, i mark my page, pick it up next time i'm in. if i really like, i'll buy it the third time i'm in! good way to kill a rainy or scorthcing day......
i may be wrong here, but i think michael jackson is more of a beer connoisseur that a brewer. don't get me wrong, he knows good beer.

DeRoux's Broux