Session IPA: reintro to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esarkipato

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I brewed. I'm looking to brew up a double-batch of drinkable IPA, with some of my favorite hops as the showcase. i would like it to be crisp, with a bit of malty backbone but hoppy as hell.

What are your thoughts on the following recipe? (https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/session-ipa-93)

Volume: 11g

Grain Bill
18.0 lb 2-Row
1.5 lb Carapils
1.5 lb Crystal Malt - 50L
1.0 lb Rye

MASH: 152F for 60 minutes
SPARGE: Single sparge 170F

Boil: 60 minutes

Hop Additions:
60m: 1oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Amarillo
20m: 0.5oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Amarillo
10m: 0.5oz Cascade, 0.5oz Simcoe, 0.5oz Amarillo
Flamout: 2oz Cascade

Yeast: Safale US-05

Looks fine grainwise, although 1lb of rye really wont do too much (10-15% for it to be noticeable). Hop schedule wise you need more late hops, as well as dry hops to make your beer hoppy as hell :) You also might consider using a bittering hop at 60 (magnum, warrior, nugget, columbus.. etc) , then spread the cascade, simcoe, and amarillo throughout the rest, with most used at the flameout and dry hop stage.

IMO OG is too high, and FG is too low for a session IPA.

the OG of my session IPA's is ~1.045 and the FG is 1.015

I typically use ~8% dextrin, 5% crystal and 10-15% wheat and/or oats to "fake" body and use a lower attenuating english ale yeast.

You really have to work hard to trick the beer into not tasting thin.

Back