Tasting phenomenon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
So. Sam Adams Oktoberfest is my favorite beer (purchased) of all time. It's like drinking a piece of toasted sweet bread. I took advantage of Sams Clubs prices and bought 4 cases. The first case was sublime, but every beer ive had afterwards have been sub par. Anyone experience this? Or is it just me?

i used to love redhook esb, got into crafted beer and can not stand that beer at all now. But no, have not experienced what you speak of.
Funny thing, someone gave me a Oktoberfest a few weeks ago, I just tossed it in the fridge with no plans of ever drinking it....might have to try it now. I'll admit it's a style i may have never had and certainly never brewed.

I like the Sam Adam's Octoberfest. I found the 1L Paulaner Munchen dimpled mug at Giant Eagle & it took 3 bottles of the SA beer to fill it! But the one I've had your experiences with is Thirsty Dog's Cerberus, a Belgian tripel style ale. It's good when it's on, kinda blah & funky when it's not.

I pick up a single of it once a week since release. This year's is really well done, or at least I think so. I've probably had about 8-10 octoberfests from the US in the last month and SA is easily the best.

Maybe your taste buds are just getting used to it. How did you store the other cases? If they were sitting somewhere hot it may have skunked a little.

I've found that the most important part of flavor for seasonal beers is the setting and your mood. I can't really enjoy pumpkin beer until I'm taking the daughter on hayrides, picking pumpkins, raking leaves, etc. Even if it's a 50 point beer, it just falls flat. Same with Imperial stout. I can't really enjoy a RIS unless I freeze my ass off getting where I'm going.

You're probably experiencing the same thing. First case was in an appropriate setting, the rest have just been beer.

I stored them in the basement at room temp. and they were bought warm. I had a few last night and found that original taste again. I guess its a mood thing...

If they were sitting somewhere hot it may have skunked a little.

Keeping beer cool helps preserve it longer, however heat doesn't skunk beer. Sunlight will skunk beer but that has nothing to do with temperature.

Personally, I like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, but it's not my favorite. I'm more of a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barelywine guy myself. Or lately it's been Rampant IPA by New Belgium brewing.

Back