Hobit's beer style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexy_sm

Reaction score
Hi all guys,

I would to ask you (especially Tolkien fans) what style is drunk by hobits. I would something like IPA, maybe not that hoppy.

Looking forward to hear ur opinion.

Cheers

If I had to guess they'd probably be brewing a traditional "British" style brown ale. Though they live underground so they'd be in a good position to lager in their cellar. Still, I'd say something like a brown or porter. Just a guess though since no hobbits have ever invited me over for a drink.

Hobbit Licensed Beers

Seems its already been done, although not sure how accurate it is for true Tolkien fans. As far as I remember, hobbits would drink anything Men would drink only in smaller quantities. Hope it helps.

Mild? ESB? Porter? Brown? Definitely something British.

Given their very reserved temperaments, I would think something low-ABV (sessionable) and probably not strongly hopped (not IPA, Barleywine, Imperial Stout, etc).

Well nice ideas. However, the Shire is so greeny with I would say a lot of hops, so something hoppy would be fine. But yes, definitely some english style ale. Dwarfes would probably drink some bocks and keller beers

Ok, I downloaded the trial version to open the recipes and here is what they are:

Lothlorien
Belgian and French Ale
Batch Size: 13.2 gal

11.02 lb 2-row (30%)
5.73 lb Munich (15%)
5.73 lb Vienna (15%)
3.09 lb Biscuit (8%)
2.65 lb Crystal 55 (7%)
2.65 lb Wheat malt (7%)
3.75 lb Carapils (10%)
2.87 lb Flaked Barley (8%)

90 min boil
0.88 oz Hallertau @ 80 min
1.06 oz Perle @ 80 min
0.71 oz Styrian Goldings @10 min
0.53 oz Hallertau @ 5 min

Wyeast 3787
SG = 1.077
IBU = 28
SRM = 14

Prancing Pony
Saison
Batch size: 13.2 gallon

15.43 lb 2-row (44%)
3.75 lb Munich (10.5%)
3.75 lb Vienna (10.5%)
1.98 lb Crystal 55 (6%)
3.53 lb Carapils (10%)
2.43 lb Flaked Barley (7%)
4.41 lb Candy sugar (12%)

90 min boil
1.76 oz Hallertau @ 80 min
1.06 oz Saaz @ 10 min
0.71 oz Fuggle @ 5 min
0.71 oz Saaz @ dry hop

Wyeast 1388
SG = 1.079
IBU = 25.6
SRM = 9.9

Not sure how accurate these recipes would be but at least it's something to build of off potentially.

If you're going with what the hobbits probably drank, you don't have a lot of great info; Tolkien mentions their beers being brown a few times in the books, so more likely you're talking about an English brown or bitter to be close to the style. This site: http://www.maxbeer.org/eng/lord-rings-beer.htm actually a strong breakdown on Tolkien beer, but take their assumptions with a bit of salt.

I would something like IPA, maybe not that hoppy.

Given that Hobbits are generally unadventurous and do not go too far from home, it seems improbable that they would have needed to create beers that could survive long-distance shipping.

They are also decidedly agricultural and non-industrial, so I don't know if the technology to create black patent malt would exist.

So I'm going with bitter, probably served on cask (as God intended it to be). Although they probably store old ale for special occasions.

I found this story from NPR that originally aired about ten years ago, by a man who talks about having a pint with Tolkien in Oxford. It isn't helpful to the present discussion, as he does not remember what Tolkien ordered. But it is still an indication of what kind of man Tolkien was.

I don't wanna hear about elvish beer, they are nice and dont drink. That saison looks interesting.

I don't wanna hear about elvish beer, they are nice and dont drink. That saison looks interesting.

Hehehe, actually according to Tolkien's books, they do and can even outdrink a dwarf, though they generally prefer wine. Of course, elves are basically demi-gods in Middle Earth, so they can do almost everything better than everyone else.

Having just finished reading the LOTR books, I'd have to say that more the English style ales. Browns, Porters, Bitters, etc.
There was a small part towards the end talking about a certain grain that grew exceptionally well to make good ale. But that's about all it goes into.

They smoked fine tobacco, so I would assume any good ale that goes with that. I don't smoke, so I have no idea. Brown, Stout, Bitter?

I remember reading/hearing something that likened the Hobbits to the Welsh (or Irish), Dwarves to the Scotts, Man to the Brits, and Elves to the French. So maybe that helps??

Milds always come to mind. Those could have Rye, wheat or other grains in them. Casked in Oak.

I would imagine that they had beer made of different runnings, an xxx for special occasions, an xx for daily consumption, and an x for the children. the kilning of the malt was probably done with a wood fire so probably had a nice roasty character, and the hops(if they were used) were European landrace...so low in alpha. Honey also could have been used as an adjunct to lighten the body. Since I'm not in the mood to parti(gyle) I might make something like this...
7lbs Marris otter
3lbs Crisp brown malt
1lb honey

1oz. EKG(60)
1/2 oz. EKG(15)
1/2 oz. EKG(dh)

Safale 04 or White Labs wpl002

Written by a Brit from the Midlands, with the cosy atmosphere and descriptions I'd go for malty bitters and amber milds.

Back