What is the Hoppiest Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackSmash

Reaction score
I had Citra Must Be Destroyed by Spring House last weekend and WOW.

:drunk:

I tasted those citra hops the next morning after brushing my teeth and waking up.

Anyone else had that?

For me it is an excellent schwartz - great mouthfeel, a touch of roast, super balance, from a great lager brewery:)

Can't recall if its the hoppiest, but I will enjoy a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid at least 2 or 3 times a week. Love that beer!

Had a buddy once give me a sample of something he said was 400 IBUs. I was like, you've got to be kidding me, but it was part of some LHBS group brew to use up random ingredients to see who could make the least crappy beer.

...It was like having your entire mouth arrested by extreme bitterness. My mouth was numb for like 10 minutes.

Russian River Blind Pig at 70 IBU. I know everyone raves about it, but I didn't like it. One of the rare beers I couldn't finish. Oddly enough the reviews keep talking about what a good "balance" it has. To me it tasted like boiled hop juice with no malt backbone at all. I might have to try to buy one bottle to see if maybe it was just a bad batch.

Speaking of other west coast hop bombs...Green Flash's Pallete Wrecker does exactly what it says it will :cross:

I am, by no means, a hop expert but I brewed a Pliney clone a few months ago. One of the restaurant's I play music at has a decent selection of beers on tap, for the area I live in, so I often discuss my love for craft beers with the staff. The manager & I have discussed my homebrewing on several occasions with him saying he would love to try one of my beers while mentioning that IPA's/hoppy beers are his favorite. I took a growler of my Pliney clone to him the last time I played there & he was excited to try it. He came out later & said "That's the hoppiest f'n beer I have ever drank!"

Sorry if I don't have anything else to add but the thread title made me think of this.

beer_118986.jpg

This. I assume it was a joke. It burned.

beer_118986.jpg

Took me a while to find it, but the IBU for Citra Must Be Destroyed! is 102.

For comparison, Palate Wrecker is 100, Hopslam is 70, Heady Topper is 120, & Pliny Elder is 100.

I just had citra must be destroyed last weekend and didnt like it at all. Just malt and bitterness no aroma, was it a bad howler? I was hoping for way more hop flavor/aroma. As far as hoppiest beer I have tried it is probably Toppling Goliath's King Sue just like drinking hop juice but not in a bad way at all. Sorry not sure if we are talking bitterness or just hop flavor.

hella hoppy from Altamont Beer Works - and its my 2nd favorite beer right behind St Bernardus ABT 12

Palette Wrecker, Pliny, Abrasive, Heady Topper would all be at the top of the list. A local one I had a few weeks ago though was right up there. Had it the day it was bottled, so just super fresh. All Citra DIPA from Toppling Goliath - King Sue. Loved it (I am a big Citra fan though). It was like drinking orange juice..... hoppy, hoppy orange juice:)

king Sue.jpg

Mikkeller 1000IBU has already been mentioned. That was fun. I think I lost some tooth enamel on that one. Founders Devil Dancer is up there, but it's too oniony for me. Moylan's Hopsickle I actually really enjoy. Never got to try Flying Monkey Alpha Fornication, but I heard all about it.

Problem with these beers is they all taste too sweet to me. Syrupy and cloying. I guess it's an attempt to balance out the bitterness, but it ends up way in the other direction. I've heard UCD and Weihenstephan are doing some research into sweetness caused by hop glycosides. Interested in hearing about that.

I used a total of 32oz hops for a ten gal batch from bittering all the way through three dry hops. Everything went into the fermenter. After bottling I put the trub in a paint bag and squeezed the hop juices out of it. I bottle primed it and drank young expecting some infection. It was the strongest hop flavor beer I've ever had. I still have wet dreams of it when i am craving an ipa.

Pallet Wrecker. It lived up to its name. Never tasted my pizza after I drank it.

Back