Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Absolutely no activity after 33 hours.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
kennyk2104
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Absolutely no activity after 33 hours.

Hi, so I just brewed a batch of northern brewer dunkelweizen extract kit using wyeast 3068. It has been 33 hours since I pitched the yeast and I have ZERO activity! upon receiving the yeast I refrigerated it. Took it out 40 hours prior to pitching, smacked it hard and stored it at around 78-82 degrees. The bag did inflate some (not all the way, but definitely did) Vigorously shook yeast and Carboy prior to pitching. I pitched the yeast around 72 degrees. I initially used a blowoff hose (heard about some blowoffs on the reviews, first time ever using one) after about 14 hours I switched over to an airlock (since it was my first time using a blowoff hose and was worried I maybe wasn't doing it right)

Like I said, it has been around 33 hours (and about 68-70 degrees fermenation temp) and absolutely no activity. This is only my second batch, but my first batch was bubbling away at around 7 hours! Just concerned. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
urg8rb8
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Did you take a a specific gravity reading before you pitched the yeast? If so, you should take another reading and see if it changed.

I had a similar experience in the past and what I did was take a long, sanitized ladle and mixed the hell out of it. A few hours later it started fermenting.

kennyk2104 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Sublimis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 29

How much oxygen did you introduce into your wort before pitching?
If you ordered your Wyeast from Northern Brewer and live a far distance away from their store, it could have killed most of the yeast during shipment. If I order kits from online stores I will opt out of buying the yeast and pick it up local just to make sure I get a good pack. I never order liquid yeast in the summer months because of this problem, just in the winter.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
urg8rb8
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimis View Post
How much oxygen did you introduce into your wort before pitching?
If you ordered your Wyeast from Northern Brewer and live a far distance away from their store, it could have killed most of the yeast during shipment. If I order kits from online stores I will opt out of buying the yeast and pick it up local just to make sure I get a good pack. I never order liquid yeast in the summer months because of this problem, just in the winter.
And this is why I order dry yeast with mail in kits when possible.
kennyk2104 Likes This 
Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
kennyk2104
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the insight. I aerated it for about 2 min of rocking back and forth. And I tried to take a gravity reading and failed miserably! HA. This is my second batch and I did the gravity before adding my additional 3 gal of watcher after cooling it. SO I did not get a proper reading. I may try the ladle trick. If that doesnt work, as per northern brewers instructions, I may re-pitch the yeast. We'll see..

Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
jaropkls
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Check the gravity. Maybe your lid isn't airtight.
I had a beer that I used WLP041 on and in 2 weeks never saw a single bubble. Checked the gravity and it was right where I wanted it and the beer tasted fine
zefbrew Likes This 
Old 09-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Sublimis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If all fails go to your local brew shop and pick up the same yeast and pitch another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 09-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
urg8rb8
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyk2104 View Post
thanks for the insight. I aerated it for about 2 min of rocking back and forth. And I tried to take a gravity reading and failed miserably! HA. This is my second batch and I did the gravity before adding my additional 3 gal of watcher after cooling it. SO I did not get a proper reading. I may try the ladle trick. If that doesnt work, as per northern brewers instructions, I may re-pitch the yeast. We'll see..
I never used a carboy, but I'm not so sure rocking it back and fourth would really oxygenate the wort well. I used plastic ferm buckets. It's easy to take a ladle to the plastic bucket since there is a lot of room at the opening. I use the ladle to cup the air at it goes into the wort.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 AM   #9
urg8rb8
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm curious. Any luck?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #10
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 913 Times on 763 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Since you did not make a starter, I would give it another 30 hours or so before getting worried. You need to take your OG reading AFTER adding the top up water and mixing thoroughly. You should also aerate longer. I shake for at least 5 minutes (I have a pump now).

You could take a gravity reading now and check again in a couple of days, It the number is smaller you have fermentation.

If you are using a bucket you may have to remove the lid and look for krausen. If you have a leaky lid your airlock or blow off may never bubble.