She made me do it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin beer......I've never been a big fan, but the wife likes them. I guess sometimes you need to sacrifice a brew day for the ones you love. With that said, I may be putting my own spin on it...maybe a rye pumpkin. Happy brew day. :mug:

Hey, they has a nice ring to it! Agreed, beats the desk any day. I'd brew a watermelon cherry imperial wheat if it meant a day outside brewing.....maybe not..

Good luck.

My wife's brilliant idea was for a Thai tea beer. It took me a couple months just to figure out what to use as the base beer. I settled on a blonde ale with Kolsch yeast.

I bottled it last night with a ratio of 1 part tea to 9 parts beer. I'm not sure if the anise, cream (used lactose), and citrus flavors are going to come through. It might end up tasting like Earl Grey beer.

That's why I chose to add it to the boil. I read some horror stories about the pumpkin not behaving in the mash.

My first pumpkin was a Rye (extract) and it was pretty popular. I have yet to get back to that taste with AG though. Trying again soon.

Do you have a a recipe yet?

Edit: Oops, based on last post you already brewed it. Care to share your recipe?

Sure, the recipe I came up with was heavily influenced by ingredients I already had...which is why some rye grains made it into the mix. Not sure if what I put in there for rye grains will have a big influence on the overall character of the beer or not. We'll find out.

-9lbs Maris Otter
-2lbs Munich 10L
-1lbs Flaked Rye
-0.5lbs Crystal 40L
-0.5lbs Cara Rye
-0.25lbs Chocolate Rye

Hops: 1oz Pearle FWH, 0.5oz Williamette 10min. (26 IBUs)

Other: 0.25 tsp Irish Moss 10min, 3lbs of roasted pumpkin 60min. I roasted the pumpkin at 375 face up smothered in maple syrup until tender with some color.
Yeast: 1056

-1.5 tsp Cinnamon (10 min)
-1 tsp Nutmeg (10 min)
-0.5 tsp Allspice (10 min)
-0.5 tsp Ginger (10 min)

Mashed at 150 degrees for 75 min. I was originally shooting for 6 gallons of 1.058, I ended up with 5.5 gallons with an OG of 1.061.

Cheers!

Made a pumpkin beer this past weekend (at my wife's urging) and experienced my first ever stuck sparge. It sucked and delayed things a bit, but it will all be worth it in the end. I tasted the wort and it was delicious. I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

There's only been two pumpkins that I've really liked. One was an imperial pumpkin made by Long Trail, and the other is Dogfish Punkin'. I think a lot of them out there are over spiced and under boozed, haha. Personally, if I have a spiced beer, I want the heat behind it.

did anyone's stuck pumpkin sparge result in the wort tasting a bit slimy? mine got stuck, and i think in 'un-sticking' it, some of the dissolved pumpkin made its way into the boil..... maybe i would up with a pumpkin pectin ale??

I had a Pumpkin Imperial Spruce Stout made by Rock Art brewery this weekend. It was an interesting brew I think is worth a try. I'm not sure what their distribution radius is though...

Back