Holiday Shopping Insanity and Idiocy[Rant] - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Holiday Shopping Insanity and Idiocy[Rant]

Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

So, me being the procrastinator that I am, put off all of my holiday shopping until today. After curing my hangover with caffeine and grease I headed to the mall. Biggest Mistake Ever!! It was anarchy.

Here are a few bits of advice.

1. When directly at the bottom of an escalator don't stop and talk to your friends, especially if you're nearly 300lbs because you block the whole friggin' exit.

2. If you do decide to stop and block the escalator and people are starting to pile up behind you, don't be shocked and start giving dirty looks when a few people tell you to move.

3. Still on the escalator theme, if you're a teenager and are trying to act cool for your friends, don't try walking up the down escalator when there's a bunch of people on it. Especially if one of those people is me, cuz I'm not letting you get by.

4. When there's more than one of the same item on a shelf, there's no need to grab and horde as though it was the last beer in the fridge.

5. To the store owners, for the sake of your employees' sanity, buy more than one Christmas carol CD, one poor register jockey told me he was going to cry if he had to here Jingle Bell Rock one more time

6. And lastly, don't for the love of God bring children into a toy store 3 days before Christmas. It's temper tantrum time bomb waiting to go off. And I witnessed a number of these explosions today.

So, what are your shopping nightmares and complaints?

End rant/

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I wouldn't know I go to the mall in the middle of the week when it opens So I dont have to deal with it, Im not a people person especially when there acting like a bunch of rabid water buffalo's trying to push and shove to get stuff they should of bought a month ago.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Southeastern US
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

amazon.com

X gift wrap.

I may be old, but some change is goooood!

Rick

Old 12-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickylr
amazon.com

X gift wrap.

I may be old, but some change is goooood!

Rick
Yeah, I'm a fan of online shopping but I put it off for too long so I had to brave the mall

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Haven't been in a mall in five years, we don't have them around here. I don't shop at all in December, except groceries and then only places that do not play carols.

[Made one exception to the G-rule this year. Stopped in at the hardware store for a new toilet brush. They're ok, still heat the place with a potbelly stove and no PA system.]

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Denver, Colorado
Liked 166 Times on 87 Posts

I was at the mall last Monday early and it was packed! The traffic was horrendous and the mall was filled with people! If course everything I was looking for was gone! On a MONDAY!
I don't like shopping anyway but to deal with the traffic and crowds did nothing to put me into the holiday spirit!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

So my wife is a manager for a retail establishment and her favorite thing about the last 2 days before Christmas is the people who get mad at her for not having the item they want to buy in stock even though they are the a**holes who waited until the last minute to do their shopping. Who are these people???

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

May 2007
Southern Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why do we all participate in this compulsory, mass-consumption ritual anyway? Going into debt, scrambling to buy everyone we know something that they're just going to return after the holiday. It's not only insane, but completely devoid of any connection to the death and resurrection of christ. We have turned an ancient cultural tradition into major religious holiday, into a herd-mentality consumer frenzy. And no, there's not anything thoughtful or selfless about trying to decide which chinese piece of crap will take your little nephew the longest to break.

I write this sitting next to my christmas tree, trying to figure out what the hell my wife wants........

Old 12-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea
...scrambling to buy everyone we know something that they're just going to return after the holiday...
I got 90% of the people gift cards. I like to shop for myself, and they probably do too.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts

I have a wife and an internet connection. Neither her nor I can stand to be in a mall, especially at Christmas so she knows when to start ordering online to get us ready in time.