Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dear lord someone help me

Old 08-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Dstpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dear lord someone help me

I suppose this is the stereotypical "Did I ruin my beer" thread, but please bear with my on my cluster you know what of an adventure.

This is my second batch. The first I had my younger brother coach me through and despite him only filling to the 4 gallon mark on my 5 gallon beer , I feel it turned out nicely. It was an IPA and I tend to like mine on the as bitter as you can get side, so I enjoy the extra bite I suppose. On to the second batch I chose to do on my own. Walk with me on this magical mystery debacle. Mind you this is a rye IPA, equinox your sox off, extract if anyone is familiar.

Everything is going just swimmingly. Grain in at exactly 170F, side pot added at exactly 170F over grains at the 20 min mark. Flawless. I was more than pleased. Boil, extract, first hop addition. And then the train missed its station and it's all down hill from here.

I missed second hop addition mark by almost a minute after being distracted by my lovely girlfriend. All other hop additions were perfect as was the Whirfloc. Go to chill wort in ice bath (last time took 8 minutes) and realize I've over filled the sink with water.. No biggie I thought, and I reached down to pull the plug to drain a bit. Didn't realize I didn't put it back all the way and lost quite a bit of water in the process. Refilled and added more ice. Once it hit about 95 I hydrated my yeast and set my 15 minute timer thinking that should be plenty. 1/2 an hour later I'm sitting with hydrated, stirred yeast, and a wort sitting, almost mocking me, at 90 degrees. I added cool water to the wort out of desperation to almost no avail. Finally being overly frustrated I decided to just aerate and pitch my yeast.

I used a nylon bag to try to catch the hop scum left behind from the boil. When that filled and refused to drain, I went into a fit of utter frustration and squeezed the bag with my hands to filter the wort out of the bag. Filled the bucket and capped and then took a shot of makers and now I'm writing this to you all. I'm sorry for the novel. I didn't know how to make it any shorter.

On a scale of one to ten, how awful did I mess this up....

Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 173

After that buildup, I was expecting something earth shattering. Sounds like you had a few hiccups, but all in all, I think your brew will be just fine. A couple more batches and you'll feel like an old pro.

MikeBergan Likes This 
Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
JINKS
Fermentator Extrordinaire
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 317 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 142

What? That's a typical brew day for me, your beer should be great.
Last night while teaching a friend to brew he pitched the yeast into the brew pot while I was draining it through a muslin bag into the carboy.
Gonna be epic. For me dumb mistakes equal great beer go figure.

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank looking like an idiot.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #4
Dstpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's what I needed to hear. I guess after a brew night like this, and being so new to the hobby, I felt defeated.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
frankjones
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Half in the bag... I dropped a lit CIG into the wort while cooling... Getting a sample to test SG. I called that batch beer-o-but brew. Was fine.
thirstydeerbrew Likes This 
Old 08-26-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

To the OP -
It will be fine, and should turn into a very drinkable beer, baring a TRUE major issue during the remainder of the process.

Missing a hop addition by a minute is not going to 'bork' your beer.

The total cooldown time doesn't seem too bad, though the addition of water to the wort will result in a somewhat diluted beer, hence a lower ABV.

I'm not completely clear on the last part... filtering the hop scum from where? and into what?... If I assume you mean that you tried to get some additional liquid out of your brew-kettle and INTO the fermenter... I doubt you have any major issues here either; though I am not sure why you wouldn't have done that prior to pitching the yeast?

Overall, RDWAHAHB (or another shot of Maker's) it will still be beer, and you can take this as a set of lesson's learned for next time, if for nothing else than to show you that you can relax a bit and the process will still work out.

BEER!!!

That is all

Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #7
BrewWNC
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Agreed. If this was the worse that happened you are fine. You should read my last brew horror story and that beer is turning out great.

"Hiccups" on brew day are part of the learning curve. Don't feel discouraged. Been brewing 3 years and still have issues from time to time.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #8
Dstpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On my first batch there was a lot of hop left overs in the primary. To try to clear that up, I moved the wort from the brew kettle into the primary through a nylon filter. Essentially a bag that fits over top the primary and filters any matter from the liquid wort. Unfortunately it didn't work as I had envisioned.

As far as adding water, I had to fill my primary with water to the 5 gallon mark, so I assumed that adding water to the brew kettle would be ok, or was I mistaken? Serious question I'm not trying to sound rude haha

Old 08-26-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Ok, for the water addition, I see now that you probably did a partial boil and then topped up to full batch size, so the gravity and ABV should be no problem.

As for the transfer... the only small process change I see is IF you did that last filtered transfer AFTER pitching... I doubt it will cause any issue, but you probably want to pitch the yeast as the last step, rather than dumping anything else in after that.

The beer'll be fine.. now crack us all one and lets relax

BEER!!!

That is all

Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 AM   #10
Dstpeter
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Naw, I pitched after transfer. Didn't want to risk filtering out any yeast by accident haha