Pumping water through Chiller - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > Pumping water through Chiller

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
hmpitags2006
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Galveston, Tx
Posts: 31


Ok I am looking into pumping ice water through my immersion chiller from a bucket and a pump since I am going to be doing 10 gallon batches and I don't want to move my keggle after the boil. What have y'all used in terms of pumps. I was wondering what GPH and Head hight rating y'all have used or recommend.

Thanks,
-G
__________________
On Tap: IIPA w\ DFH 120 Yeast
On Tap: IIPA
On Tap: Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Apfelwine
Fermenting: American Barelywine, Porter
On Deck: Blood Red IIPA

Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy......Ben Franklin

Gig'em Aggies, Beat the Hell out of t.u.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Seabee John's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Minnesota
Posts: 2,301
Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts


Both Nicksteck and I use IC's with Ice water recirculation. I had an old sump pump with a garden hose connection. Works EXTREMELY well. great flow, the pump is submersible so you put it in any old tub without having to purchase fittings.

You can see Nick's chiller on the floor in the background and a hose & cord in the white bucket (sorry that's the best photo I have) and the icewater...

__________________
North Saint Paul Brewshack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
knarfks
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Kansas
Posts: 271

I use a pond pump and a 50' IC chiller. It says it pumps 300 gallons an hour, works great, very small and portable. This helped the chill times immensely without having to go to a plate chiller.
__________________
Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
hmpitags2006
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Galveston, Tx
Posts: 31

Ok so around a 300gph pump will work for 50'. I will look into my reef keeping connections for a cheap pump.
__________________
On Tap: IIPA w\ DFH 120 Yeast
On Tap: IIPA
On Tap: Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Apfelwine
Fermenting: American Barelywine, Porter
On Deck: Blood Red IIPA

Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy......Ben Franklin

Gig'em Aggies, Beat the Hell out of t.u.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CodeRage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,222
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts


Im running a 60 foot chiller with a 300 gph 12' pump. Works okay.. The reason I say that is because the water comes out completely heat saturated for the first 5 minutes. Which means I could pump more water through there faster and achieve a much quicker cooling time. Pumps aint cheap though.
__________________
Brutus 20e build | Electrical Primer for Brewers | Auber SYL-2362A2 PID Install & Config
So as I am walking out the door this morning I think to my self:
"self, going to work on Monday is like knowing you're going to get kicked in the nuts. You just don't know when or by who"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
hmpitags2006
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Galveston, Tx
Posts: 31

I would think that if the water came out hot that it was doing it's job in absorbing the heat from the wort and transfering it elsewhere. I found a pump at harbor freight for $29 that is 400 gph and I think will do nicely. Virtuous are you saying that you have a pump that works at a 12' head @ 300 gph? What kind of pump are you using?
__________________
On Tap: IIPA w\ DFH 120 Yeast
On Tap: IIPA
On Tap: Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Apfelwine
Fermenting: American Barelywine, Porter
On Deck: Blood Red IIPA

Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy......Ben Franklin

Gig'em Aggies, Beat the Hell out of t.u.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
beergears
 
beergears's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
somewhere west of Boston Harba'
Posts: 999
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Wouldn't a washing machine/dishwasher pump work as well..?.

Not immersible, of course (separate housing), but probably capable of handling hot water.
__________________
You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CodeRage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,222
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hmpitags2006
I would think that if the water came out hot that it was doing it's job in absorbing the heat from the wort and transfering it elsewhere. I found a pump at harbor freight for $29 that is 400 gph and I think will do nicely. Virtuous are you saying that you have a pump that works at a 12' head @ 300 gph? What kind of pump are you using?
I think it rates at one or the other, because the flow isnt that impressive.

Yes, you're right the water is doing it's job but if the water comes out equal to the temp of the wort it is completely saturated and will not pull away any more heat. I cant tell when it becomes saturated though, it could be happening 25' into the 50' coil which means the remaining 25' isnt doing anything. If I pump water in there fast enough that it comes out just under the temp of the wort I know the coil is being used to maximum efficiency. See what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergears
Wouldn't a washing machine/dishwasher pump work as well..?.

Not immersible, of course (separate housing), but probably capable of handling hot water.
It doesnt need to be capable of pumping hot water. Just cold water. Hot water comes out the other end
__________________
Brutus 20e build | Electrical Primer for Brewers | Auber SYL-2362A2 PID Install & Config
So as I am walking out the door this morning I think to my self:
"self, going to work on Monday is like knowing you're going to get kicked in the nuts. You just don't know when or by who"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
knarfks
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Kansas
Posts: 271

I personally use the normal garden hose until I get the temps down to around 100, the faucet temp and ice water temps aren't going to help very hot wort cool much faster, the flow rate is more important. Unless you have water restrictions I would just use the tap/garden hose water first, then switch to the pump, best of both worlds.

Flow rate would probably help, but temp dif is probably more important with the pump for the lower temps. My little 300 gallon pump drops the temps great once below 100. The water coming out of the output is still fairly cold so I don't see the need for increased flow for me.
__________________
Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: Dry Mead
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, apfelwein, craplwein, Orange Blossom Mead, Two heart clone
Kegged: Apfelwein...wedding cleared out 3 kegs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Seabee John's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Minnesota
Posts: 2,301
Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfks
I personally use the normal garden hose until I get the temps down to around 100, the faucet temp and ice water temps aren't going to help very hot wort cool much faster, the flow rate is more important. Unless you have water restrictions I would just use the tap/garden hose water first, then switch to the pump, best of both worlds.

Flow rate would probably help, but temp dif is probably more important with the pump for the lower temps. My little 300 gallon pump drops the temps great once below 100. The water coming out of the output is still fairly cold so I don't see the need for increased flow for me.
That's exactly the way I get it done. I configured a Y at the input side of my chiller. You can buy one at your local home depot. It has ball valves built in so once you have your hosed hooked up, you chill down to 100 deg. flip a switch and a valve or two and there ya go.... it's ice bath time.
__________________
North Saint Paul Brewshack
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pumping from the mash tun MTHarrington All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 10-13-2009 11:42 PM
pumping from fermenter mandoman Equipment/Sanitation 5 05-27-2009 02:52 PM
Pumps and wort pumping ThreeDogsNE Equipment/Sanitation 4 08-21-2008 11:58 AM
Pumping Question korndog All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 12-29-2007 02:20 AM
Pumping into the Conical Biermann Equipment/Sanitation 10 02-26-2007 10:14 PM


Forum Jump